Old June 21st 05, 05:29 PM
Dave Plowman (News)

In article >,
R. Mark Clayton > wrote:
> * the original joke was about UK police Range Rovers that had loads of
> trim removed and an uprated (higher compression than the standard low
> compression 'tractor fuel' 3500 V8). These went quite fast, but were
> very thirsty and had all the aerodynamics of a brick ****house.

Range Rovers in the UK have always been in general high compression. Even
the early ones perhaps aimed at the working farmer etc by the rubber mats
rather than carpets.;-) Although I'm sure you could specify a low
compression version as these would have been sold overseas.

There is - or was - a low compression version fitted to vans and
ambulances that only managed 128 bhp from carbs. ;-)

The Met - London police - at one time specified low compression for all
their cars so they only needed to stock one type of low octane petrol for
both cars and vans. So the old rumour about them being tuned was in fact
correct - but tuned down. ;-)

'Area' cars - that's the type that may do chases - round here are now E39
diesels. They were bought towards the end of the run, so I'd guess the Met
got a very good deal. There are also some Tourings.

--
*A plateau is a high form of flattery.*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.