Old March 13th 05, 02:58 PM
tech27

"Stan Dowiat" > wrote in message

> After having the BMW dealer price a 4 wheel alignment at $181, then
> finding that a local tire store could do a good job for $49

I doubt they would even come CLOSE to doing a good job. When you get your
new tires and they wear badly and unevenly you will find out it was money
wasted.

I'm betting that there
> are very few reasons I would ever take my 97 528 with 111,000 k miles to
> the dealer.

Like they know the car? But if you have a good mechanic who you trust there
is no reason to take a car that age/mileage to a dealer for service.

A guy at work said an installed battery would cost about $300. I
> found a BMW site which tells what type brand of $100 Diehard fits and
> works fine. Are these kind of price at the dealerships normal?

Yes and no. Depends on the dealer.

> Usually I change the oil in our cars myself. On the BMW there are the
> "service lights" on the dash that come on and tell you how long till
> ervice is needed. Does anyone know how to reset that yourself?

Do a search. It's been covered about 98,877,987 times. Make sure you change
the filter with each oil change, and USE THE BMW PART. Aftermarket bargain
filters are crap. AND PLEASE-dispose of the oil properly.