Old July 16th 05, 12:21 AM
ironrod

Default Cadillac 501 engine

I posted here awhile back about having inherited my fathers Cadillac
Eldorado with a 501 C.I. engine, and I'm still trying to get on top of the
learning curve. Here is my latest dilemma: Looking at
the engine heads there seems to be two temperature sensors screwed directly
in to the heads. One is on the right-hand side all the way forward, the
other is on the left-hand side all the way aft. There is a single black
wire coming from the one up front and a green wire coming from the rearward
one. They're not intersecting any oil or coolant passageways that I can
see, so my conclusion is they are measuring the head temperatures directly.
Did Cadillac actually make an engine system this sophisticated back then and
if so how do I tell if it is working? Or am I even on the right page of
music?