Old May 11th 06, 11:04 AM posted to rec.autos.tech

Default mower white smoke

"Oleg Lego" > wrote in message
> The entity posted thusly:
>
> >white smoke, if it is truly white, is caused by *water* - so say the
> >experts.

> Don't think so. Water causes water vapour. It looks entirely different
> than smoke, though I guess there's an outside chance that someone
> could mistake it for smoke.
>
> White smoke, or at least 'quite white' has poured out of my rear-tine
> cultivator when a friend filled the tank from a jerry can meant for my
> chain saw.

When diagnosing automobile exhaust smoke, technicians usually refer to the
vapor from water condensation as white smoke. Oil burning produces a blue
gray smoke that might be mistakenly called white smoke until you see the
difference. Black smoke is due to excessively rich fuel mixture. Lawn
mowers and other air cooled engines cannot produce the so called white smoke
caused by water vapor because there is no coolant to leak into the
combustion chamber and the muffler is too hot to allow water vapor
condensation. Any "white" or blue gray smoke from the exhaust on an air
cooled engine is from burning oil.

--
Kevin Mouton
Automotive Technology Instructor