Old March 14th 05, 05:28 PM
Robert Cruickshank

Brent P wrote:
> In article >, Robert Cruickshank wrote:
>

>>I don't feel like making too many responses on this thread, so I'll just
>>point out here that the other poster who found the UAW link is right,
>>this information is definitely made available to members - even a member
>>like me who is in a non-automaking section of the UAW. And if I know
>>this stuff you can sure as hell bet that the UAW workers in auto plants
>>know what cars are union-made and which aren't.

> So how do the guys with the baseball bats that enforce these sort of regulations tell
> the difference between say, a made-in-mexico focus and made-in-USA focus? At one time
> the kansas city plant put a little sticker on the cars, but that may or may not last.
> But other US plants didn't mark their production that way.

I rented a Focus in Denver back in September, a 2004 model, and it had
the sticker saying it was made in the USA by union labor (I don't
remember which plant, exactly). So the stickers are still there.

> I doubt they keep a cheat sheet going back ten or model years to refer to. This sort
> of thing is an emotional reaction, not some sort of rational, planed, and researched
> activity.

You might be surprised. UAW members who work in auto plants, along with
many who are in the union in other industries, are very knowledgable
about this issue. Since it's their career, they make it a point to keep
up with production, new models, etc. The union's monthly publication,
Solidarity, is usually full of info about all this. The memories about
this are VERY long.

--
Robert I. Cruickshank
roadgeek, historian, progressive