Old July 24th 05, 08:37 AM
Abeness

Pars wrote:
> The mechanic also said that the master and slave cylinder were leaking and
> the clutch pedal was very stiff (but not stiff enough to hamper the lead in
> my left foot).

Mine was feeling a bit weird when I replaced the master/slave cylinders.
and the master was leaking here as well. Dealer said the slave was
leaking too when I had the car inspeced prior to purchase, but I didn't
see any evidence of that myself.

>>If whatever they're wanting to do the overhaul on involves removing the
>>tranny, have them inspect the clutch for wear and decide then. Tegger's
>>still on his original clutch at 400,000 km...

> If I wasn't aggressive with the tranny, I'm sure the thing would probably
> would last forever. Considering that the engagement point for my clutch has
> gone all the way down to the floor and switching into first or reverse is a
> little tricky, something is not right.

Maybe not forever, as there is wear however you drive. The fact that you
have to push the pedal all the way to the floor to disengage the clutch
could merely be the result of the low fluid and failing cylinders.

Since the master and slave cylinders are so easy to replace--I'm
relatively new to automotive work, but am a pretty handy guy in
general--and since replacing them doesn't involve dropping the tranny,
I'd start with those and see how it feels after a pedal adjustment. The
job can be done in less than 2 hours. If you want to do it
yourself--really, it's easy--see my post "clutch master & slave cylinder
replacement notes (94 Civic EX)" (7/8/2005). Helpful to have a Helm
manual, too--an excellent investment.