Old January 10th 05, 02:07 AM
Grumpy au Contraire

Nate Nagel wrote:

> WinterInAmerica wrote:
>
> > Hi there. I would be very interested in anyone's opinion on this
> > matter. I am looking to buy my first car (always lived in philly, used
> > public trans for years before this). I really would like my first car
> > to be a mid-60s era cadillac. My friends think this is a phenomenally
> > bad idea. Folks point to a lack of 'crumple zones' or airbags in older
> > cars, that I would constantly have to replace parts (which would be
> > some serious long green), and even then, where would I get parts, that
> > I couldn't rely on it to get me to work, and that it is just plain
> > dangerous, blah blah blah. In your expert opinions, how seriously
> > should I regard these naysayers, and how much of what they are saying
> > is mambojahambo? Despite all of this, I still find myself pretty
> > dead-set on the idea - what advice could you give someone in my
> > position who knows very little about cars, and who is looking to buy an
> > older vehicle?
> >
> > Thanks!
> > WiA
> >

> I think that your friends are full of crap, a '60's Caddy would be an
> excellent driver car. Unlike Chevys and Fords of the same era, the
> Cadillac engines were excellently engineered and will last a long time
> with only routine maintenance. Moreover, they're usually owned by
> little-old-lady types and not abused.
>
> That said, if you know "very little about cars," you likely will be
> violated most unpleasantly by the first repair shop you bring such a
> machine to, and you should also not even buy a 30 year old car unless
> you know how to look for common signs of trouble. Some problems that
> look very scary are no big deal to someone who knows how to hold a
> wrench; some that appear to be no big deal mean lots of expensive work
> in the future. I'm not trying to discourage you from dreaming of one;
> just saying that you should learn how to work on an old car first, then
> go shopping. Sorry if I just burst your bubble.
>
> nate

The bad thing about Cadillacs is that they are an attractive "ghetto"
vehicle that may have been abused check its history for sure). Also,
northern GM cars of the era from northern rust belt regions can have
serious frame rust. Lastly, oil pumps on Cadillacs are notorious for
not picking up oil when standing for a length of time.

Aside from that, a mid sixties Caddy is a great ride though a fuel
thirsty one...

--
JT

Just tooling through cyberspace in my ancient G4