Old July 9th 06, 01:22 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
pws[_1_]

Default Clunking sound

Alan Baker wrote:
> Lately, as I'm coming to a stop under braking -- particularly if the
> wheels are turned -- I hear a little clunk or two.
>
> My Miata is a 1990, and I'm wondering whether some of the suspension
> bushings might be breaking down.
>
> Any thoughts?

Is there any difference in the sound depending on if it is a left or
right turn during braking? Also, has the car changed as far as handling?
One more question, does the amount of braking force affect the sound?

16-17 years is definitely enough time to take a toll on any of the
rubber bushings.

My first place to look would be the front sway bar. I fixed one miata
that actually had a broken bracket and was still driving decently with
the left side sway bar end hanging down, but it was making a very loud
clunk sound. It may be as simple as replacing your front sway bar bushings.
Second place to check would be the brakes, especially if the car is
driving normally.

After checking those, and assuming that the shocks are not completely
shot, I would jack up the front of the car and see if there is any play
in the wheels to indicate a bearing going bad and check to see if the
steering is loose anywhere, especially at the links.

Finally, I would get in there with a pry bar and carefully put some
force on the upper and lower A-arms to see if they have excessive
bushing play.
There is also a small possibility of the bushing going bad at one or
both of the shock mounts, though I do not know how you would check this
without removing the assembly from the car.

Most of these problems would also affect your alignment, BTW. Are your
tires wearing normally? (ok, that's 4 questions)

Pat