Old January 20th 05, 03:15 AM
Jeff Strickland

> wrote in message
oups.com...
> Hello gentlemen I'm hoping somebody can give some insight to a problem
> that started about a month ago...I have a 95 wrangler 4.0 5-speed
> manual transmission with 105K and all of the sudden the clutch is
> sticking in gear sometimes (mostly first) amd sometimes I can't get
> into gear unless I let up on the clutch first, or pump it once, and
> then it's fine...

Without reading another word, you have troubles withthe Clutch Master
Cylinder.

The clutch and the brakes use similar systems, lets' talk about brakes
because youhave probably experienced this before. If you are waiting at a
light with your foot on the brake pedal, you might notice your foot slowly
sinks towards the carpet. This means the Brake Master Cylinder is failing.
The MC has a couple of chambers, and has a piston and a variety of internal
seals. Over time, these seals begin to fail, and you notice this as your
foot sinking at the stop sign or traffic light. The recovery mode is to pump
the brake pedal.

Now the clutch. The clutch uses a hydraulic system that is very similar,
perhaps identical, to that which is used for the brakes. The difference is
that you hold your foot on the floor when youuse the clutch, but there is a
HUGE spring inside the clutch that is pushing back at you. When the MC fails
in the clutch, your experience is that the car may begin to creep if you
hold the clutch depressed for a very ling traffic light and the transmission
is in gear. What you do notice is that if you hold the clutch depressed in N
while waiting for the green light, you will not be able to select 1 when the
light turns green. This is because the trans is already moving and the gears
will not mesh. The recover mode is to pump the clutch pedal a few times.

The seals inside the MC (either the brakes or the clutch) can fail in such a
way that the operating pressure is lost, but no fluid leaks to the outside.
There is a slave culinder in the clutch, roughly equivelent to the brake
cylinders (or pistons in the instance of disc brakes). When the slave
cylinders leak, they leak to the outside and the leaking is eventually
visible, and frequently catastrophic. When the MC fails, it needs attention,
but I can not recall any instance of catastrophic failure where the clutch
or brakes fail completely without warning. That is the good news. The bad
news is, you can't ignore repairs. Well, you can ignore repairs, but I would
appreciate it if you stay in front of me if that happens.