Old December 12th 04, 06:01 PM
Darryl Johnson

Mitch,

I have, in fact, tried connecting the modem to the phone wires at the
demarcation point. I even tried connecting the modem to the outside
of the house, running my cat 5 wire through an open window and over
to my computer. No luck.

Essentially, the ISP raised our throughput rates from 1.5MB down to
3MB down, and ever since then I've noticed that the modem is more
susceptible to losing synch. On the support forums, some people are
recommending a newer modem, which they say is less prone to suffer
phone line interference. Others say the newer modems are NOT as good
as the older ones. Others say the getting the speed throttled back
will help; and (of course) still others say that if they set the
speed slower, it will be WAY slower than even the old 1.5 rate.

Looks like there is a great potential to lose no matter which way I
jump. For now, I', just gonig to give up on weekend, daytime racing.
(My wife can usually find something for me to do, in any case, if I
look like I'm just dragging my ass around the house. <grin>)

Thanks for the thought, though.
--
Darryl

Mitch_A wrote in news:td%ud.41791$6q2.12819
@newssvr14.news.prodigy.com:

> You might try running a clean phone line from the Phone Companies

D-Mark to
> your modem to help eliminate inside wiring as the culprit. The

Phone Co
> will only guarantee a 9.6k connection so they may or may not help

ya.