Old December 26th 04, 09:20 AM
Glenn Richards

Dan Koren wrote:

>> As I said in an earlier posting, I've been in several cars, both as
>> driver and passenger, with Conti Sports, and always found them very
>> good in both dry and wet conditions.

> Did anyone pee on them? ;-)

Nope!

Even been down my road in snow as a passenger in a Mercedes C220 fitted
with Conti Sports. Only time the traction warning came on was when we
pulled out from the bottom of the road after stopping. The roads had
been gritted after that point, so no problem.

>> Also I don't tend to drive on pavements - you tend to risk knocking
>> down pedestrians if you do that!

> In the US "pavement" is used differently than in the UK. It is used
> generically for any kind of road surface, rather than just
> cobblestones.

Ah, fair enough. Over here it's what I think you refer to as a
"sidewalk"... the road surface being either tarmac ("black top" I
believe you call that) or concrete ("white top"?). And riding a
push-bike on the pavement is highly illegal...

>> Anyway, back to the original question. Can I get 225/50 tyres on
>> the A4's standard 16" rims, which currently have 205/55s?

> It depends on the width of your rims. If you have 8" or 8.5" rims,
> yes. If you have 7.5" rims, I wouldn't recommend it. If you habe 7"
> rims, it is an absolute no-no.

Without taking the tyres off the rims I couldn't really say. I've spoken
to my local tyre fitter this morning though and they've said they keep
both profiles in stock, and they'll quite happily check once they've
taken the old tyre off the rim.

Is there an accurate way of measuring the rim width while the tyre is
still on, and the wheel still fitted to the car?

--
Glenn Richards Tel: (01453) 845735
Squirrel Solutions http://www.squirrelsolutions.co.uk/

IT consultancy, hardware and software support, broadband installation