Old March 11th 05, 10:16 PM
Skip Elliott Bowman

"Dave C." > wrote in message
ink.net...

> "Brent P" > wrote in message
> news
>> In article . net>, Dave
>> C.

> wrote:
>>
>> > edge of the door. When I looked inside, I noticed it was a MANUAL
>> > transmission. Maybe the driver really was handicapped, but obviously
>> > in

> NO
>> > way that would require him/her park in a special spot closer to the

> entrance
>> > of a building. So why were the handicap plates issued? Did the DMV
>> > not
>> > notice the type of vehicle or the fact that it was manual transmission

> and
>> > modified to be EXTREMELY hard to get into? -Dave

>> While it might not be in the law, observations like the above have caused
>> me to assume that such plates were issued to the mentally handicaped as
>> well as the physically handicaped.
>>

> Ok, so my question still stands . . . why would someone who is not
> physically handicapped need to park closer to entrance of a building?
> Thus,
> why the need for handicap plates? -Dave

They could have been issued by mistake, or someone switched the plates, or
bought it from someone without exchanging the handicap plates for new ones.
In any event, it was fraud.

I saw a 20/20 segment on just this issue: able-bodied people who use
placards to park in handicap spots. They found cars with placards, checked
them, then followed the owners out to their cars with cameras rolling--and
with the offenders all covering their faces in shame and embarrassment.
They knew they were in the wrong.

Why do able-bodied people park in handicapped spots? You know the answer to
that.