Old November 18th 04, 02:15 AM
Natman

On Wed, 17 Nov 2004 19:19:03 -0500, "tonyrama" > wrote:

>I was out and about today and I went down into a wholesale lot looking for a
>vehicle for my mother, and what did I see but an M1! I couldn't believe they
>had one there, so I pulled in to see it. It's a '95, it looked green under
>the lights but the guy there said it was blue, it had a tan top with black
>interior, power windows, power antenna, newish rubber on nice alloys,
>automatic tranny. When I saw it was automatic I didn't look over it much
>longer, but I almost had her convinced when I got home that it was a viable
>buy for a winter car. The price on it was $3600, but they guy said they'd
>probably take $2500. It's not inspected, and the tag on the window said it
>was because of the directionals, and the drivetrain, whatever that means.
>
>So my questions are these: First, what could be wrong in a Miata drivetrain
>that would negate a sticker? Second, I know that a lot of people here drive
>their Miatae in the snow, but my mother is the little old ganny in a minivan
>type. More of a point and steerer than a driver, what's the likelyhood that
>she'd get herself into more trouble with a Miata than a FWD minivan? With
>decent snowtires, of course, but she drives 50-60 miles a day round trip to
>work, and needs something she can count on to get through New England
>winters. What do you all think?
>
>Tonyrama

I strongly suspect that the biggest plus feature of the Miata, the
handling, would be lost on your mother, and that she would find it
noisy, cramped, rough riding and uncomfortable. She' d probably object
to the lack of trunk and storage space.

Have her take it for a test drive and see, but I bet she'd be happier
with a nice FWD sedan.

Be sure to find out IN DETAIL what's wrong with the drivetrain before
you part with any money.