Old July 22nd 05, 11:53 PM
Dave Head

On 22 Jul 2005 10:49:01 -0700, "John S." > wrote:

>Dave Head wrote:

>> >Not a big deal since as the complete article says: The testing would
>> >be done on a special track near Goteborg, on Sweden's west coast, where
>> >Volvo's parent company, Ford Motor Co., has a safety development
>> >facility.
>> >
>> >As a side note I do like the Swedish approach to drunk driving.

>> I don't - not if they're applying their traffic laws to private property which
>> a test track would be. Do they try to enforce speed limits at their auto
>> racing tracks?

>The Swedes as well as several other countries take safe driving
>seriously...much more so than we in the U.S. do. Their rules regarding
>drunk driving are probably very simple and comprehensive and go
>something like this: Nobody may operate a vehicle in Sweden if their
>blood shows any level of alcohol. I think that Volvo and the
>Government are also sending a very good message by requiring Volvo to
>ask for an exception. It provides public reinforcement of how
>seriously the Swedes take driving safety.

New Jersey has some driving laws that they (attempt to) enforce on private
property, too. Its one of the reasons they're known as this nation's ultimate
nanny state.

I think the government should stick to making its traffic laws for government
property - that is, the highways, and let people take the risks they wish to
take on their own land.

I wonder if Volvo also, in addition to busting up the drunk driving laws, also
violate the reckless driving laws (some skidding, perhaps), speed laws (high
speed runs to test handling, stability, aerodynamics), and possibly have
accidents that they don't report to anyone (rollovers when the engineer's math
doesn't quite jibe with the vehicle's actual capabilities, or the test driver's
actual capabilities.)

Could be tough to sanction all sorts of adrenalin-producing activities, like
BMX, moto-cross, motorcycle-riding in general (exceptionally dangerous even if
you don't attempt to do anything exciting), etc. Wonder if the Swedes are
allowed to climb their mountains, or have to ask permission?

Dave Head