Old March 3rd 06, 03:43 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer,alt.trucks.ford,rec.autos.tech

Default reading OBD-II DTC's on the DATC (heater control) module?

The 2002 Powertrain Control and Emissions Diagnosis manual says, about
the Dual Automatic Temperature Control module, "The DATC module has a
vacuum fluorescent display for displaying set temperature, function and
diagnostic trouble codes (DTCs), and utilizes an on-board diagnostic
(OBD) feature to supply the technician with diagnostic trouble codes
(DTCs). These DTCs direct the technician to the inoperative component."

But I can't find any instructions on how to get it to display the
codes. Can anyone help with this? I have a 2003 Explorer and don't
have a code reader. (I used to just count flashes on my '94 Crown Vic
check engine light after jumpering with a paperclip under the hood. Now
that the codes are alphanumeric this probably isn't possible anymore.)
Thanks.