Old December 22nd 04, 10:38 AM
Treeline

"zebra" <zebra @ optonline dot net> wrote in message
> How hard is it to replace the thermostat on a 98 Voyager with the 3.0
> liter Mitsubishi V6?

> I haven't looked under the hood yet to see where the thermostat is
> located to see if this is a job I can do myself. If it's behind the
> timing belt cover, I may bite the bullet and pay to have someone do
> it, but if it's an easy job, I'd like the challenge.

I replaced the thermostat on my 3.0 Voyager. You might want to spend
the money for the original Mitsubishi part from the dealer. It's about
$20 versus 3rd party for $6-$10 but it is made a little better and less
likely to stick. I don't want to replace this again and it did seem
to work a little smoother than the Slant or 3rd party thermostats.

It's not hard, although I was careful and took me almost 2 hours.
I am sure it can be done in 30 minutes but I did not want anything
to fall into the engine. Just take off one of the radiator hoses and
voila, sits on the front of the engine, so very accessible leaning
over the front of the engine compartment.

I also replaced the hose at the same time, figuring why not.
Not have to worry much about bleeding, just made sure not much
air was getting in. Also check the engine codes and sure enough
it was the thermostat.