Old July 18th 06, 12:18 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Stan Weiss

Default Visual Differences Between Cast Iron & Forged Steel Crankshafts

> > Hi there,
> >
> > I have searched high and low for an answer to this question. I
> > recently have purchased a 1969 375hp 396 engine. A very rare engine!
> > Now the only problem is telling if it has all the true internal
> > components inside as I was told it had.
> >
> > Can anyone tell me if there are any visual differences between
> > cast iron & forged steel crankshafts that will help me determine what
> > is inside. If there are not any visual is there a way to tell...any
> > factors I can look for?
> >
> > Any help would be greatly appreciated.
> >
> > Jeff Gerlitz

> Hi Jeff!
> I hope that the following web-page is really helpful to you!

http://www.mustangandfords.com/howto.../photo_10.html

As the article says the difference in the size of the parting is one
way. If the crank is out of the engine and you hit it with a hammer the
cast crank will make a thud and the forged crank will ring like a bell.
Stan