Old September 8th 06, 05:02 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
[email protected]

Default can you help whats the problem?

key wrote:
> ok so this is whats going on. i have a 1997 buick lesabre limited
> edition. While i am driving my car stops on me. the oil level light
> goes to zero the alteranator volt battery light comes on my power
> steering goes out and my car slowly rolls until the momentum has
> stopped. sometimes it would start back up immediately and sometimes it
> would take up to an hour for it to start back up again. i have noticed
> that it happens when the car heats up or if im driving during the day
> in the heat of the desert. i have heard different things, someone told
> me it was my starter

Your car starter has become your car stopper? I don't think so.

> or alternator (i took my alternator to get tested
> and it did not fail),

It's probably fine.

> replaced the fuel pump and the problem persists.

What was wrong with the fuel pump, and what defects did it show when
tested for pressure and volume? Of course it was tested for those
things because it makes no sense to replace expensive parts otherwise.

> i went and bought some fule injector cleaner

Were the fule injectors dirty? Considering the car is a 1997, I doubt
it.

> and it still it has the same problem but now after it stops it usually starts back up
> after a couple of mins after maybe stalling if trying to start it back
> right away. none of the mechanics i took it to knows whats going on
> and i put money into the car and the problem still isnt' fixed.

You paid to have your car fixed, and unless they told you they didn't
fix it and charged you only a diagnostic fee, they owe you either a
repair or refund.

You want to know if your engine stops because of lack of fuel or lack
of spark. To see if this is a fuel problem, squirt propane or
carburetor/throttle body cleaner spray into the intake (preferrably
with the air filter still in place so it can block any flame from
blowback) while a friend cranks the engine. If the engine runs when
you do this but doesn't run otherwise, then you have a fuel delivery
problem, and your ignition system is probably OK (it could be marginal,
but I doubt it, unless the engine has been idling roughly or has been
weak). To check spark, remove a spark plug wire and connect it to
another spark plug (even a cheap one will do, so long as it fits the
connector) and hold its metal body against some bare metal (engine,
frame). While a friend cranks the engine, listen and look for spark
(may be hard to see in strong sunlight).

I'm going to suspect a bad electrical connection, possibly a ground,
related to either the fuel pump or ignition system (including the key
switch), or a bad ignition module, but realize I'm only guessing, so
don't replace anything that doesn't fail testing, unless you can find a
TSB (technical service bulletin) saying it's a problem device.

If you diagnose this yourself, get a GM or Mitchell manual since other
books don't cover fuel and ignition systems very well or may even
provide wrong information (troubleshooting information may even apply
to carburetors instead of fuel injection). Also look at web sites that
specialize in GM cars, such as www.chevyforums.com