Old September 27th 04, 07:13 PM
William Maslin

In article > ,
"Tony Bad" > wrote:

> "wkearney99" > wrote in message
> > > Aw quit your complaining (;^D)...the only way my 52 HP or 48HP diesels

> > could do
> > > 0-60 in under 10 seconds is if I drove them off a cliff.

> > Heh, a similar line got me out of a traffic speeding ticket. I said to the
> > judge, '75 mph in a Beetle? On hilly terrain?' (we're talking a 20 year
> > old
> > beater here) 'It couldn't do that even if I threw if off a cliff!'. Not
> > guilty!
> >

> I drove cross country (well a good chunk...NY to CO) in a 68 beetle, and
> after
> my foot started going numb, I got a large stick, cut it to length, and wedged
> it
> between pedal and seat as a "cruise control". I now realize this was VERY
> dangerous, and a dumb thing to do...but it allowed me to cruise at about 76
> for
> hours on end. 76 was all it would do, and it took a LONG time to get there.
>
> Ahhh...the good old days.

Yeah...the good old days. I remember them well. For four years when I
was in school at the UGA I drove my 65 40HP Beetle (Werner) back and
forth between Silver Spring MS and Athens GA on I-85 and I-95 dicing
with the semis (fast lane downhill, slow lane uphill). Old Werner could
only manage about 71 mph topped out and that was downhill! Amazing the
things you could do when you were young, huh? And even more amazing was
that it all seemed perfectly natural.

Bill

--

Take out the invalid if replying by email