Old January 12th 05, 11:45 PM
Rob Guenther

Default EGR valve clogging issue

Got my Golf back from service today (1999.5 TDI) and the intake system and
EGR valve were so badly clogged (the EGR valve was lacking the R part -
COMPLETELY blocked, not even a tiny pinhole for gases to flow through) with
deposits that the one service guy said "that engine really shouldn't be
running, at least hardly at all"... I never really noticed too bad of a
power loss, just had smoke under hard acceleration.

The cleanout made a nice different, throttle is more responsive,
transmission fluidly shifts gears (I guess the engine can match revs easier
now) and there is more power, with no more smoke!... Even with my Tuning Box
plugged in... And the engine vibrations in Drive while stopped are tame,
doesn't feel as much like an old dump truck anymore.

Also got a new timing belt. +60kkms servicing, car has ~120K kms on it, so
this is # 2 for the 60K kms service.

I'm surprised no idiot light came on tho... i'd think with VWs on this
newsgroup having random dashboard lights come on my sensors would have
picked up this massive problem, but no.

So if any of you are suffering from some bad performance, get your
EGR/intake system looked at. It didn't cost all that much, although the
total bill (with belt, cleanup, oilchange, inspection etc) was kinda high
(tho all itemized looked reasonable, so no worries that I got ripped off - I
don't think I did).