Old September 5th 06, 10:11 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
maxpower

Default faulty accumulator PT

"therebel" > wrote in message

PT
> 2.2CRD 2002 model year. 40k on the clock. car came in to workshop with
> burned out compressor clutch. tech replaced compressor and these symptoms
> started. initial start up ac works ok for about 3 mins, the low pressure
> gauge on the regas station indicates about 5 bar then starts to rise then
> drop as the clutch cycles approx every 5 secs. every cycle takes the low
> pressure up a touch more until the cooling effect stops and the pipework
> feels warm. the high pressure never moves from 5 bar . when evacuating
> the system the full charge is never removed and has to be repeated

several
> times. the fixed orifice tube has also been renewed. i am thinking

towards
> the accumulator but have never experienced a failure in 10 years.
> > wrote in message
> > anyone have any idea of the symptoms of a bad air/con accumulator

2 questions.......... First question to you is are you using the test port
for the high side gauge at the compressor or at the hose itself?
2nd question..... Does the A/C condenser fan come on as soon as the
compressor engages.

My guess will be you are using the ports at the hoses on the top and the fan
does not turn on when the compressor turns on. If the fan does not turn on
as soon as the compressor kicks on the high side will go extremely high, the
condenser will get very hot and in some cases the R-134 may blow out. If you
use the port at the top you will not see the high side. It has to be
connected to the compressor port. Very hard to access unless you have a
small hand/arm the grille and radiator must be loosened

Glenn