Old July 9th 06, 03:03 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
BläBlä[_1_]

Default 1998 SL2 - cracked cylinder?

In article .com>,
says...
> Well, one of you tells me something bad and the other tells me
> something good, lol...
> Thanks for the suggestions though!
>
> Anyway, I just wanted to clarify that when I drove for 3 hours, I
> checked the oil when I got gas halfway, and it was completely full.
> Like I said, sometimes its completely random. When Im in Florida, the
> only time Ive ever seen it lose oil is if I drive from Daytona to
> Orlando and back (about 2 hours), and then it only loses less than a
> quart. Now that Im in WV though, and mountains are part of the road,
> perhaps its putting more stress on the engine and losing more at
> certain times.

As your car changes pitch oil can be tilted towards the PCV at those
times and the extra engine load does create higher oil pressure but it
still drains off the top of the engine at the same rate. PCV is still
suspect.

> Ok, one other thing... what color is the coolant SUPPOSED to look like?
> Right now its a transparent brown color, looks pretty thick from what I
> can tell...I mean if somebody were to tell me "See how the oils gotten
> into there?" Id say "yep". But if some coolants are naturally that
> color, then maybe its not what I think it is.

This is likely Bars Stop Leak that you're seeing or a muddy mix of
dexcool and green coolant. I would flush it out real good and install
dexcool and drain and fill it every 2 years.

> Now earlier in the year...I think January or February, I did in fact
> buy a new PCV valve from Advance Auto Parts and replace the old one
> that was very dirty. Im not sure which brand it was. Anyway, whenever
> I check my oil, I always pull out the PCV valve and wipe it off,
> because it does seem to accumulate oil on the outside of it. Is this
> the PCV valve causing this? The old one was MUCH dirtier and this one
> still looks very clean when I wipe it off.

The exterior of the pcv valve means nothing. It has a check ball that
should snap shut to prevent oil from getting by. This ball has to be
precise or oil will still get by. This is why I said OEM. Aftermarket
valves are often to sloppy for inline engines. Brake clean can flush out
the inside of the valve.

> Another random point that might help make some connections... sometimes
> when I go to check my oil, I dont get a good reading on the dipstick...
> It seems like Ill get little drips of oil on the edge of the stick, but
> theres no clear line of oil on it at all. I know this isnt when its
> empty because it has happened twice after Ive checked it, seen it a
> little low, and then put in a half a quart. After I put in the half
> quart, the dipstick didnt wanna give me a reading anymore. My dad said
> this and the dirty PCV valve have something to do with "back-pressure"
> in the system, causing oil to splash up the dipstick tube and up the
> system into the PCV valve. Any ideas.
>
> By the way, thanks SO much for what youve said already, its a big help.

Just to be sure, you do check your oil on level ground right? It
probably wouldnt hurt to over fill just by a hair. Used to be the owners
manual said to check the oil every time you stopped for gas. I think
they might still say that. Does your oil stay within operating range
between fill ups?