Old March 10th 05, 03:54 AM
Laura Bush murdered her boy friend

Magnulus wrote:
> What do you think of transmission flushes or changing transmission

fluid
> more often than specified in owners masuals (usually 100,00 miles or

never).
> Think about it, some people do overkill by changing their engine oil

every
> 3,000 miles, but they never even think about changing the automatic
> transmission fluid. Yet the automatic transmission gets alot of use

and has
> alot of moving parts. It's the second most costly thing on the car

> replace next to the engine.
>
> My parents cars never changed their transmission fluids except

every
> 100,00 miles or so. And the transmissions usually died after 125,000

miles
> or so. Imagine if people only changed their engine oil every 100,00

miles-
> I don't think engines would last that long with dirty oil.
>
> My car only has 33,000 miles. I'm planning on researching who

does the
> best job, what's the best technique, and have it done, or do it

myself,
> before 50,000 miles at least.
>
> I know there is alot of BS and snake oil involved in the mainanence
> business, often on customers who don't have a clue about cars. Some

people
> think transmission flushes are also a waste of money, likewise.

Engines suck in dirty air, transmissions don't. So it's unfair to
compare the two. I've been thinking of changing the fluid and filter in
my AT but it's a messy job. Very few car makers put a drain plug on
the tranny so you have to take off the pan. I guess they figure you
don't need to change the fluid very often and if we put install a drain
plug, it will leak.