Old July 23rd 05, 09:04 AM
SteveH

> I've had an old style 156 for the last 3 1/2 years which has just given
> up on me (a week after the 72,000 mile service, new brake discs & pads
> and a new battery - typical!!). The bearings went and the garage want
> £3300 for a reconditioned engine. Seeing as the car is 5 years old
> with 72,000 on the clock, so only worth around £4500, it hardly seems
> worth it. My head tells me to get something else (the cam belt also
> went at 55,000 miles, but Alfa paid for the repair), but my heart says
> otherwise - for the price there isn't anything else that appeals to me
> in the same way the 156 does.
>
> I've seen a decently priced 1 year old new-style 156 and I just wanted
> to get any opinions on them. Are they any more reliable? Do they
> still drink oil? By the way, I'm open to offers on the busted one - W
> Reg, leather seats, telephone dial alloys. It's currently sitting in a
> garage in Amersham; best offer so far is £1000.

I don't think you're cut out for Alfa ownership to be honest. You
obviously don't know anything about looking after a 156 - the cambelt
should have been changed at 36,000 miles and if the 'bearings' have gone
in the engine - I'm assuming big end bearings here - then it's because
you haven't been checking the oil.

Perhaps a boringly reliable, zero maintenance German car is more your
thing.

Alfa 156 2.0 TSpark Lusso - Passat 1.8 Turbo SE - COSOC KOTL