Old September 19th 06, 04:34 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
pws[_1_]

Default 96 Miata - replacing timing belt

Brian wrote:
> Isn't it recommended to change the valve cover gasket as well? I belive you
> have to take the valve cover off. BTW, my timing belt was changed at 60K,
> and now my mileage is around 130K, so it's been about 70K.
>
> Brian

The two areas are not related. Replacing the valve cover gasket is very
easy, the timing belt is much more complicated. I would only replace the
valve cover gasket if it is leaking.
Doing that only takes a while because of the cleanup and removing the
old gasket after taking the valve cover off. The actual removal and
re-installation only takes a few minutes once you have your tools ready
and everything is cleaned up.
Of course, a strut tower bar adds one more step to the process. :-)

It's about time for a new timing belt at 70K. Did they do the water
pump, seals, tensioners, etc.? I would have them done either way, though
I would also squeeze another 10K to 20K miles out of it if they were
done the first time.
If the water pump is original, there is a good chance that it is getting
ready to go and it would be my main worry over the timing belt.

The recommended change interval is 60K or 100K depending on if you are
in California. I have never seen one break before 100K miles, so I am
pretty comfortable with going 80K to 90K instead of 60K between changes.
This also eliminates any decision-making on the water pump, it
automatically gets replaced after 80K miles.

Pat