Old March 11th 05, 02:11 AM
Daniel J. Stern

On Thu, 10 Mar 2005, Steve wrote:

> > The automatic lighting systems I am used to activate low beam
> > headlights, sidelights, and tail lights, day or night. I refer to
> > these as DRL's. Does DRL mean something different to you, Daniel?

> DRL has a completely different and standardized definition. It refers to
> white lights, mounted on the front of the car, that operate whenever the
> headlights and other lights are OFF. When the headlights and marker
> lights come on, the DRLs go OFF.

Your definition is accurate outside North America, but not within North
America. In North America, DRLs are allowed to be white, selective yellow,
amber or any color in between. They're required to stay on with the
parker/marking lights by Canadian law. They're required to turn off with
the parker/marking lights by US law, but this provision is not enforced.