Old July 18th 06, 12:24 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Comboverfish

Default 96 s-10 blazer

Steve W. wrote:
> Same POS.
> It is the Eaton Gov-Lok unit. GM and Ford both sell it in vehicles. GM
> has 3 axle options IIRC, open diff, limited slip (GovLok) and on the
> real hard core machines they do offer a Detroit locker as a special
> order item.
> The G80 came in the 10 bolts and the 12s.
> GM used it as the primary upgrade in towing packages for the truck lines
> and in most of the F bodies as well. I think Ford uses it in the lighter
> trucks and the Mustang as well.

Thanks for the reply. I think that's the unit that uses a pinnion
shaft and cam mechanism to squeeze the clutch packs when the axle gear
speed difference reaches a certain point. It seems like a good idea in
theory, but if it isn't durable then it's pretty worthless.

Toyota MDT in MO