Old January 28th 05, 07:29 AM
Tom B

Thanks Joe for the input. The tensioner was checked out during the initial
check and was found to be in proper working order and alignment. The first
belt did not come off but had a stand fray off the belt and got caught up on
the shaft of the power steering pump.This was the original belt so I was not
surprised that it finally failed. As far as it taking out the pump that was
due to just plain bad old luck I guess....The main concern I have is why did
the rack and pinion fail. Was it because the pump was defective and caused
an over pressure situation because they had to even replace the pump they
had just installed because the pump had blown out its own seals as well.

Tom.

"Joe" > wrote in message
> I had that experience - If it threw two belts off, I think you will need

> replace the tensioner bearing. If you look you may find the tensioner will
> be riding a little out of alignment. If it's not that, then look at
> everything else that the belt rides on and past. It's fairly simple
> geometry. If it continues to throw the belt off then you should be very

much
> assured that one of the pullies somewhere is out of alignment or some

object