Old May 16th 04, 03:51 PM
Tony Rickard

"Ash" wrote:

> It certainly does help. Thanks very much!
>
> Are the 96/97 Lusso's good cars? Would you recommend them ?

My wife has a '96 GTV (non Lusso).

It is low mileage (42k) just had a cambelt change and four new tyres so she
will be keeping it for a while!

It is an excellent car, although the 2.0TS now feels a bit underpowered
compared to my V6 156. It sounds very good, although the TS provides power
in a very linear fashion right up to 7000 (there is no sudden surge as the
revs rise.) The TS engine is a bit gutless low down, but keep the revs up
and it zips along.

I do fancy a 3.0 !!

The handling is very good, the rear has a degree of steering when cornering
hard thanks to the complex suspension layout which provides it with a sporty
feel for an fwd.

It has a retro feel in side which I really like - not loaded with toys.

Common problems include rear suspension bushes and the standard TS stuff
(variators, cambelts and lack of oil.) Cambelts need to be changed every
48000 or 4 years, so a 96 really should have had a cambelt change even if
low mileage, plus a higher mileage one could be due a second change if done
more than 4 years or 48000 miles ago.

I think they look great!

Lots of Alfa links he

http://alfaromeo.start4all.com/