Old February 24th 05, 04:53 AM
Universal Soldier

Dan Ganek wrote:

> Universal Soldier wrote:
>> If I have the right of way, like on an X intersection with a minor road,
>> where the minor road has stop signs, mine does not. If someone is making
>> a left turn from the minor road onto my road, but his movement is blocked
>> by cars in front of him. Is it legal for me to hit his car?
>>
>> Suppose I could stop, but I'm angry that they are blocking my way and I
>> think the insurance settlement might be more than my car's market value.
>> Is it OK for me to just keep going and take my right of way, even though
>> I could stop to prevent the collision?

> Are you serious? Of course it's not legal. Even in MA it's illegal.
> You have a legal responsibility to prevent an accident under all
> conditions.
>
> /dan

Let's say I'm making a left turn from a minor road, and you are coming from
my left. Normally, I would wait until the road is clear for me to make the
left turn. But by your logic, it's OK to drive into the middle of the road,
blocking you, stand there, until there is a gap in the traffic coming from
my right, and move only then? Because if it's not OK for you to hit my car
(according to you), I can do whatever the hell I want.

More realistically, how would the courts decide or insurance companies
settle in the above scenario - that's what determines "right" and "wrong".