Old May 25th 04, 11:25 PM
Steve Grauman

Interesting stuff. I expected the 2.7T be be a better performer than the N/A
3.2 but after seeing the overlay I'll have to take that back till' I've seen
some real world tests. As a side note, Subaru recently redesigned the Outback
and Legacy sedans and wagons. They partially redesigned the H6 motor (3.0
litres) and squeezed it for 250Hp. However, they've also added the 2.5 litre
turbocharged Boxer 4 to both model ranges, which matches the H6's 250Hp, makes
more torque, and peaks (both Hp and torque) at lower RPMs. This seems to be the
case more often than not when comparing small turbocharged motors to marginally
larger N/A motors. Let's not forget that the updated S-Line version of the A6
2.7T is making 265Hp and well over 260Ft. Lbs. of torque - with peak torque
from below 2,000 RPM. The "old" 250Hp version ran 0-60 in 5.9 seconds with the
6-speed. Pretty impressive for a large car with Quattro.