Old May 27th 04, 07:57 PM
JP Roberts

Couldn't agree more, Steve; except that new S4 is not as good either as it's
got the worst mileage in its category. Who wants a thirsty 344PS V8 if they
could have made a 3.2 biturbo that would make some more power (in the region
of 370PS) and much better torque when chipped?

> I find it plain stupid. VW has spent so much time over the past 2 years

trying
> to come up with Audi/BMW/MB competitors that it's lost sight of building

models
> which are truly competitive in VW's normal areas. The Passat loses sorely

> the current competition in most areas as do most of the other VW models.
> They've fitted the New Beetle TDi and 1.8T cabrio with the 6-speed DSG but
> they've kept the Jetta, Golf and Passat TDi and 1.8T models stuck with the
> not-anywhere-near-as-good 5-speed Tiptronic. And what about the Audi

models?
> The G35 and Acura TL have got the A4 beaten hands down on the

priceerformance
> ratio, the 3-series and IS300 are both better driver's cars and VW's W8

Passat
> is equivalent to or better than the A4 3.0 in most every way for about the

same
> money. And does anyone really believe the A6 will be able to match the new
> 5-series? The A8 may very well be the best luxury sedan in the world of

it's
> size, type and price, but it pales in comparison to the 7-series where

driving
> dynamics are concerned and it's thousands more than the Jaguar XJR which

is a
> much better performer and not much smaller. The S4 and RS6 are the only
> stand-out models they make and the RS6 is really only marginally better

than
> the E55 - but it's a lot more money. The Toureag may be as good as the BMW

X5
> and MB ML500 in V8 trim, but it's nearly as much money (it actually goes

over
> $50k fully loaded) and doesn't carry the prestige. The 3.2 powered model

is
> underpowered and over priced and if memory serves me, is fewer than $1,000

USD
> less expensive than the more powerful and prestigious Cayenne V6. I own a

2002
> VW that I like quite a bit, but I can all but guarantee that it's the last

VAG
> product I'll ever buy. There are simply to many other better products on

the