Old July 8th 05, 05:30 AM

Len G wrote:
> Well guys here we go.
>
> 1993 Grand Caravan
> 3.3 Liter
> Bought it with 153,000Km
> found out later it had 304,000Km on it
> when it was sold 6 or 7 months before we bought it
> now has 234,000Km according to the odometer.
>
> Was out today drove it about 20 some odd miles when I went off the
> highway onto a side road and when I stepped on it to pick up speed it
> went into never never land, dropped it into 3rd then 1rst and still
> nothing then back into D and then a few seconds later it went into
> limp mode.
> Works great in 2nd in limp mode
> if I leave it sit not running for about 5 minutes it will go into
> drive and will seem to be fine for about 300 - 500 feet, it will start
> in first then shift to 2nd and before it can get to a 3rd shift point
> it goes into never never land and then after a few seconds into limp
> mode.
>
> So does this sound like it needs a fluid and filter change to cure it
> or could I be looking at some major trouble?
>
> It runs fine otherwise even with close to or just over 400,000Km on
> it.

Get it scanned. Scantools that can read the transmission fault
codes are now very cheap on Ebay - you do need to know what to buy -
but I don't think your going to wait a couple weeks with the van
not working in order to get one of these. See my post titled "sick
41TE" just a few days ago for a similar problem.

Ted