Old August 25th 06, 08:25 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
hex

Default calling the smog gurus

hi I just failed the good ole california smog test i have a 98
civic EX manual
109K i failed with high HC tthe first time around cause i just drove
it in without doing anything
since its never failed before after failing once I did new plugs, dist
cap and rotor added 2 cans of heet to 1/4 tank of gas and ran for 15
miles on fwy prior to testing and it still failed the numbers dropped
about 30 points on the HC with the tune up but still failed
here are the #

co2 O2 HC CO

15 mph 13.7 .7 64max, test 99 .55max, test .16

25 mph 13.8 .5 47max, test 89 .54max, test .10

NO
477max , test 33
764max, test 13

had the computer scanned, no codes or pending codes engine is strong
i dont think its blow by or anything like that, dont want to start
throwing 90 dollar x2 02 sensors or 300 dollar cats without knowing
what is the cause.

any insight would be appreciated