Old March 2nd 06, 09:32 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer

Default How to use 4wd feature on 2000 Explorer - EB

"Theresa" > wrote in message
ps.com...
> Hi all. My manual was stolen out of my car a while back and I haven't
> replaced it yet.
>
> I will be driving in some possibly heavy snow this weekend and was
> wondering how to use the 4wd feature. Is it as simple as just "turning
> it on"? Does the car need to be in motion, park, etc when turning it
> on?
>
> Thanks so much!
>
> Theresa

Theresa, you can find the 'Glove Box Manuals' otherwise known as 'Drivers
Handbooks' online at the following link.
http://www.genuineservice.com/genui...fault?page=Home
Click on the 'Glove Box Manuals' link under the MAINTENANCE header and then
select make/year/model as prompted.

By the way, it really IS as easy as turning the dashboard switch to "4X4"
but you really need to read the relevant section in the drivers handbook if
you are not familiar with 4 wheel drive vehicles. DO NOT, in any
circumstances drive more than a few yards in "4X4" mode on a hard, dry
surface where there is lots of grip e.g. a dry (or even slightly damp)
road - you could seriously damage the transmission. Don't let this scare
you, it's just something you need to know and it applies to ANY 4X4 vehicle,
not just the Ex.

Hope this helps,
Simon H (In the UK)