Old November 19th 04, 02:23 AM
Abeness

Dee wrote:
> Since the subject has been brought up: Can an ignition switch be wearing out
> but only exhibit symptoms on occasion,

I should think so. One of the problems that affect electrical contacts
is that they slowly become carbonized (or is it oxidized?) from the
spark that occurs when they first join to complete a circuit,
particularly where grease has been applied--just think of what happens
to your iron skillet when you pour fry oil out of it and some runs down
the side, then gets completely burned on the next time you use it if you
forget to wipe it off thoroughly. The initial spark of connecting
contacts is hot and does the same thing over a long period. I'm pretty
sure that the last ignition switch I saw was greased (not Honda), as
would be expected.

Depending on how you turn and release the key, more or less spark can
result. More spark, and for longer, results in quicker
carbonization/oxidation and/or contact damage. The
carbonization/oxidation eventually builds up to the point where
sufficient electrical contact to power the circuit can no longer be
made--the resistance is too great. However, there can easily be a period
of time leading up to permanent failure when the contact can still be
made sufficiently to operate the circuit, despite intermittent failure.
For example, when the contact jiggles a little--the parts of the contact
which are dirtier sometimes make contact, resulting in failure, while
when the cleaner portions connect the circuit works (in this case, the
engine runs).

Hope that made sense--I'm no electrical engineer and may have the
terminology wrong, but I've seen and worked with lots of electrical
contacts.