Old December 6th 04, 11:07 PM
Rob

I hoped the same thing of my AMD64 FX-53 system so I could still use my
game port Sidewinder FF wheel. Alas, it was not to be. While the
processor will run Windows 98SE, you'll probably hit motherboard and
chipset driver problems, as I did. I got it installed but the device
manager showed lots of problems with the hardware. When I went hunting
for motherboard/chipset drivers, very sadly, Win98 turned out not to be
supported very well.

I gave it up as a bad job and bought a different (USB) wheel, a
Thrustmaster Enzo Ferrari. I couldn't get used to its pedals, though -
they seemed very uncomfortable compared to the MS FF pedals. But
luckily I read something in R.A.S suggesting that you could combine the
pedals of one wheel with the steering from another. And now I am a very
happy user of MS FF pedals (going into the gameport) and the Enzo
Ferrari wheel (going into the USB). It seems that Windows XP can handle
the MS FF pedals going into the gameport - it's only the wheel itself
that causes problems.

WinXP Pro with this combination has been absolutely rock solid for me,
so my desire for Win98 has disappeared.