Old June 7th 04, 09:50 AM
Byron

>>Even modular engine families, such as the one Ford
>>developed in 1996 (which spawned a V-6, several V-8s, and a V-10) use a
>>60 degree angle for the 6
>>

>Does this include the unit (2.5 litres?) used in the Contour or just the 3.0
>litre used in the Taurus? I always liked the Contour, for what it was. I
>thought it was Ford's best sedan with the possible exception on the 2nd Gen. V6
>powered SHO.

The engine family I referred to is the one used in the Mustang and their
truck lines. The duratec engines, which started with the 2.5 60 degree
V-6 in the Contour, and was expanded to 3.0 in the Taurus and the 3.4 60
degree V-8 (a 2.5 with 2 extra cylinders) in the last SHO. The 60
degree V-8 pretty much killed the SHO - along with its high price.
There's a new duratec 3.5L V-6 coming out within a year.

> The Accord is a 3.0 litre. The Odyssey and Pilot have a 3.5 litre
> engine, as does the 3.5RL, but the Acura's is different. I drove a
> Pilot and liked the 3.5, a friend's 2004 Accord is nice too, but a
> little more torque could be useful.

You're right. But they're all 60 degree V-6s.

>>I do know that the H-4 in my WRX, while quiet and
>>powerful, isn't as smooth at idle as the I-6 engines I've test driven.
>>

>The H-4 is the WRX felt a bit gruff to me. But the boxer-sixes in Porsches are
>made of automotive dreams. ;-)

If I coulda I woulda... 'course I tried to get into a used '00 S4, but
the new '02 WRX fit so much better into my budget.