A4 Temprature Gauge Sender

Old December 11th 04, 12:10 AM
Steve68s

Default A4 Temprature Gauge Sender

Hi Guys,

Dose anyone know where the engine water temp gauge sender unit is on a 1996
A4 2.6 - ABC v6 engine? I have the top engine cover off but can't see
anything that looks like it,

Steve.

Old December 11th 04, 12:38 AM
Chuck

A4 2.6? ABC? If you meant 2.8 AFC V6, then the Engine Coolant Temp
sensor is located on the coolant line behind the cylinder head on the
passenger side. It is a four pin sensor.
Best of Luck
Chuck

Old December 11th 04, 12:47 AM
Peter Bell

In message <Krqud.3519$lZ6.545@trnddc02>
"Chuck" > wrote:

> A4 2.6? ABC? If you meant 2.8 AFC V6

I don't think so - the 12 valve 2.8 was never offered in the UK A4.

We only had the 2.6 until 1997 models arrived with the 30 valve 2.8.

Old December 11th 04, 01:25 PM
Steve68s

"Peter Bell" > wrote in message
> In message <Krqud.3519$lZ6.545@trnddc02>
> "Chuck" > wrote:
>
>> A4 2.6? ABC? If you meant 2.8 AFC V6

> I don't think so - the 12 valve 2.8 was never offered in the UK A4.
>
> We only had the 2.6 until 1997 models arrived with the 30 valve 2.8.
>
> --
> Peter Bell (Note Spamtrap - To reply, replace 'invalid' with
> 'bellfamily')

Hi, Its definitively a 2.6 v6 12v engine, engine suffix ABC, the 2.8 12v v6
was suffix AAH I think, I just cant see anything that looks remotely like
the temp sender, the temp gauge sometimes works sometimes does not, was
going to try a new sender as a starting point,

Steve.

Old December 12th 04, 06:31 PM
Chuck

Sorry, still learning what's available in Europe vs. North America. I wish
the N. American market would adopt some of the ideas and technology that
Europe is using. What a difference a pond makes.
Chuck

Old December 15th 04, 11:16 PM
Ottar T

On Fri, 10 Dec 2004 23:10:01 -0000, Steve68s
> wrote:

> Hi Guys,
>
> Dose anyone know where the engine water temp gauge sender unit is on a
> 1996
> A4 2.6 - ABC v6 engine? I have the top engine cover off but can't see
> anything that looks like it,
>
> Steve.

The one that feeds the dashboard gauge is located behind the right
cylinder head (looking from front). Easiest to spot standing on the right
side of the car. Points nearly straight upwards, with cable on top.
Some diferent types of sender units has been used, colour (blue or
white?)and number of cables tells which one to purchase..

regards
ottar t

Old December 15th 04, 11:25 PM
Steve68s

"Ottar T" > wrote in message
newspsi2likt0wnjl0g@abit_brusken...
> On Fri, 10 Dec 2004 23:10:01 -0000, Steve68s
> > wrote:
>
>> Hi Guys,
>>
>> Dose anyone know where the engine water temp gauge sender unit is on a
>> 1996
>> A4 2.6 - ABC v6 engine? I have the top engine cover off but can't see
>> anything that looks like it,
>>
>> Steve.
>>

> The one that feeds the dashboard gauge is located behind the right
> cylinder head (looking from front). Easiest to spot standing on the right
> side of the car. Points nearly straight upwards, with cable on top.
> Some diferent types of sender units has been used, colour (blue or
> white?)and number of cables tells which one to purchase..
>
> regards
> ottar t

Nice one, I will investigate it at the week end,

Steve.

Old April 21st 05, 08:51 AM
newbie

Hi Guys,

I'm trying to diagnose a problem on an Audi A6 1995 2.6... I hope one
of you can help!

Put simply, the water (and then engine) overheats if the A/C
compressor is NOT switched on.... I replaced the water tempurature
gauge... but it has made no difference!

The radiator fan just doesn't come on unless the AC is on...

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Sam.

Old April 21st 05, 07:17 PM
Tony

Most likely you need to replace the thermoswitch located on the radiator. that
switch tells the fan when to run based upon the water temperature in the radiator.

The reason the fan is running when the AC is on is because that is the normal
mode for the AC operation.

If the fan runs with AC then the thermoswitch is most likely the cause but it
could also be due to a bad relay / relays as well.

Tony
98.5 1.8TQ