90% of drivers don't know how to brake!

Old March 22nd 11, 02:06 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Tom Adams

Default 90% of drivers don't know how to brake!

Research conducted in 1992 at the Mercedes-Benz driving simulator in
Berlin revealed that more than 90% of drivers fail to brake with
enough force in emergency situations.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brake_Assist
Old March 22nd 11, 08:55 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Ashton Crusher[_2_]

On Tue, 22 Mar 2011 07:06:17 -0700 (PDT), Tom Adams
> wrote:

>Research conducted in 1992 at the Mercedes-Benz driving simulator in
>Berlin revealed that more than 90% of drivers fail to brake with
>enough force in emergency situations.
>
>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brake_Assist

I'm not surprised. When I was doing braking tests and let someone
else do it, even though I stressed they needed to PRESS HARD on the
brake pedal, they rarely even locked the wheels. I've even seen
experienced accident investigators fail to brake hard enough to get
good measurements.
Old March 22nd 11, 11:19 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Banned

I once read some of those smashups on the Autobahn are real Beauts.
cuhulin

Old March 23rd 11, 01:35 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
willy[_2_]

On Mar 22, 7:19*pm, wrote:
> I once read some of those smashups on the Autobahn are real Beauts.
> cuhulin

Google Autobahn accidents. Check out the red car wrapped around the
tree. Amazing.
Old March 26th 11, 07:08 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
[email protected]

I've always had the habit of stepping hard on the brake before putting
it into gear. On my 76 Dodge Aspen Wagon with the ever popular slant
6, I had just gone to pick it up after brake work, when I started it
and the corroded brake line burst and spilled on the floor. The garage
guy gave me a great deal on replacing it, since he said it would have
looked bad having me drive a mile down the steep hill into the
Monongehela river.

Nils K. Hammer
Old March 26th 11, 07:26 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Banned

I stay on the slow poke back roads wherever I am going.I can putt putt
along at about 35 to 40 - 45 miles per hour just like most of those
other slow pokes are doing.It feels just right for me.I never have to
brake hard unless some fool suddenly cuts in front of me.I just don't
like to drive fast anymore.50 - 55 miles per hour is more than fast
enough for me.
cuhulin

Old March 27th 11, 05:59 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B[_2_]

On Tue, 22 Mar 2011 07:06:17 -0700, Tom Adams wrote:

> Research conducted in 1992 at the Mercedes-Benz driving simulator in
> Berlin revealed that more than 90% of drivers fail to brake with enough
> force in emergency situations.
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brake_Assist

What's a "brake"? Is that the third pedal in between the throttle and the
clutch?

Old March 27th 11, 07:34 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Bret[_2_]

On Sat, 26 Mar 2011 23:59:51 -0500, Hachiroku ÇgÇYǧÇG wrote:

> On Tue, 22 Mar 2011 07:06:17 -0700, Tom Adams wrote:
>
>> Research conducted in 1992 at the Mercedes-Benz driving simulator in
>> Berlin revealed that more than 90% of drivers fail to brake with enough
>> force in emergency situations.
>>
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brake_Assist

> What's a "brake"? Is that the third pedal in between the throttle and the
> clutch?

It's the one you whack in a Fwd car when it goes to far when drifting.
Old March 27th 11, 02:36 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Scott Dorsey

=?iso-2022-jp?q?Hachiroku_=1B$B%O%A%m%=2F=1B=28B?= > wrote:
>On Tue, 22 Mar 2011 07:06:17 -0700, Tom Adams wrote:
>
>> Research conducted in 1992 at the Mercedes-Benz driving simulator in
>> Berlin revealed that more than 90% of drivers fail to brake with enough
>> force in emergency situations.
>>
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brake_Assist

>What's a "brake"? Is that the third pedal in between the throttle and the
>clutch?

That's the "break pedal." You press it when it's time to pull over and
take a break from driving.
--scott

Old March 27th 11, 03:12 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Banned

What was the first brake pedal? The one you push on those old Wagons and
Stage Coaches? Scrub brakes against the rear wheels.The sprag
brake.Throw out the boat anchor.
cuhulin