90% of drivers don't know how to brake!

Old March 27th 11, 06:27 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B[_2_]

Default 90% of drivers don't know how to brake!

On Sun, 27 Mar 2011 09:36:35 -0400, Scott Dorsey wrote:

> =?iso-2022-jp?q?Hachiroku_=1B$B%O%A%m%=2F=1B=28B?= >
> wrote:
>>On Tue, 22 Mar 2011 07:06:17 -0700, Tom Adams wrote:
>>
>>> Research conducted in 1992 at the Mercedes-Benz driving simulator in
>>> Berlin revealed that more than 90% of drivers fail to brake with enough
>>> force in emergency situations.
>>>
>>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brake_Assist

>>What's a "brake"? Is that the third pedal in between the throttle and the
>>clutch?

> That's the "break pedal." You press it when it's time to pull over and
> take a break from driving.
> --scott

Ah! THAT'S what it is! Thanks....usually I just gear down to 1st and turn
the motor off when it's time for a break.

Old March 27th 11, 06:30 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B[_2_]

On Sun, 27 Mar 2011 18:34:39 +1200, Bret wrote:

> On Sat, 26 Mar 2011 23:59:51 -0500, Hachiroku  wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 22 Mar 2011 07:06:17 -0700, Tom Adams wrote:
>>
>>> Research conducted in 1992 at the Mercedes-Benz driving simulator in
>>> Berlin revealed that more than 90% of drivers fail to brake with enough
>>> force in emergency situations.
>>>
>>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brake_Assist

>> What's a "brake"? Is that the third pedal in between the throttle and
>> the clutch?

> It's the one you whack in a Fwd car when it goes to far when drifting.

Can you EVER go too far when drifting?

Here's what I can't understand: how did the "Hachiroku" become one of the
pioneer drifting cars? The weight distribution is 50/50, and it was about
the most neutral handling car I have ever driven. You could flick through
corners with ease, without much worry of the rear breaking loose. They
must have had to do some serious re-engineering to make this car drift...

Old March 27th 11, 08:45 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Bret[_2_]

On Sun, 27 Mar 2011 12:30:09 -0500, Hachiroku ハチ*ク wrote:

> On Sun, 27 Mar 2011 18:34:39 +1200, Bret wrote:

>>> What's a "brake"? Is that the third pedal in between the throttle and
>>> the clutch?

>> It's the one you whack in a Fwd car when it goes to far when drifting.

> Can you EVER go too far when drifting?
>
> Here's what I can't understand: how did the "Hachiroku" become one of the
> pioneer drifting cars? The weight distribution is 50/50, and it was about
> the most neutral handling car I have ever driven. You could flick through
> corners with ease, without much worry of the rear breaking loose. They
> must have had to do some serious re-engineering to make this car drift...

You're not supposed to go back the way you came from
Old March 27th 11, 08:47 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Bret[_2_]

On Sun, 27 Mar 2011 12:30:09 -0500, Hachiroku ハチ*ク wrote:

> On Sun, 27 Mar 2011 18:34:39 +1200, Bret wrote:

>>> What's a "brake"? Is that the third pedal in between the throttle and
>>> the clutch?

>> It's the one you whack in a Fwd car when it goes to far when drifting.

> Can you EVER go too far when drifting?
>
> Here's what I can't understand: how did the "Hachiroku" become one of the
> pioneer drifting cars? The weight distribution is 50/50, and it was about
> the most neutral handling car I have ever driven. You could flick through
> corners with ease, without much worry of the rear breaking loose. They
> must have had to do some serious re-engineering to make this car drift...

Can the power overcome the handling?
Old March 28th 11, 03:12 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B[_2_]

On Mon, 28 Mar 2011 07:47:31 +1200, Bret wrote:

> On Sun, 27 Mar 2011 12:30:09 -0500, Hachiroku ハチ*ク wrote:

>>> It's the one you whack in a Fwd car when it goes to far when drifting.

>> Can you EVER go too far when drifting?
>>
>> Here's what I can't understand: how did the "Hachiroku" become one of
>> the pioneer drifting cars? The weight distribution is 50/50, and it was
>> about the most neutral handling car I have ever driven. You could flick
>> through corners with ease, without much worry of the rear breaking
>> loose. They must have had to do some serious re-engineering to make this
>> car drift...

> Can the power overcome the handling?

Just barely. US spec was 112 HP, but I think that was conservative. I seem
to remember a magazine here testing it and reachin ~120HP. "World" models
were rated 122HP, so the actual figure was probably ~128 or so.

I have a "late" model 1985, made in April, so it got more of the goodies
and probably hit the 120 figure. On a trip to Canada I was blown off by a
Prelude and a Bertone Volvo, so I decided to see what it could do. At
~130MPH I could feel the front lifting a bit, so I backed down to 125 for
a while. I didn't have a lot more to go, maybe 133 or so tops. If you
really revved it and dropped the clutch you could break the back end free.
But you have to remember the drifters go with the side draft carbs, more
aggressive cams, etc. There was a racing series here in NA that used the
4A-GE engine, and with all the works it came out at 240HP, which was what
Toyota rated the motor at max power. So, yeah, beefed up to 180+, I would
imagine you probably could make the @$$ end slide around like a 911...

BTW, the "late" model configuration was a bit of a PITA, because I would
go for parts and they would say, "When was it made?" "April 85" "WHEN in
April 85" April was the break from the late '83-'85 series, and it was a
mixed blessing. THe parts for the earlier models were cheaper by about
half! But, the car was more robust after the split, and certainly
benefitted from the changes! It still sits in my back yard, with 259,990
fun-filled miles, waiting for the day it gets rebuilt, but all my money
has been going to my Supra...

Old March 28th 11, 03:13 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B[_2_]

On Mon, 28 Mar 2011 07:45:48 +1200, Bret wrote:

> On Sun, 27 Mar 2011 12:30:09 -0500, Hachiroku ハチ*ク wrote:

>>> It's the one you whack in a Fwd car when it goes to far when drifting.

>> Can you EVER go too far when drifting?
>>
>> Here's what I can't understand: how did the "Hachiroku" become one of
>> the pioneer drifting cars? The weight distribution is 50/50, and it was
>> about the most neutral handling car I have ever driven. You could flick
>> through corners with ease, without much worry of the rear breaking
>> loose. They must have had to do some serious re-engineering to make this
>> car drift...

> You're not supposed to go back the way you came from

LOL! That's why I stay away from Porsches! Oh, and I think $$$ might have
a little something to do with that...

Old March 28th 11, 03:23 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Bret[_2_]

On Sun, 27 Mar 2011 21:12:22 -0500, Hachiroku ハチ*ク wrote:

> On Mon, 28 Mar 2011 07:47:31 +1200, Bret wrote:

>>> Can you EVER go too far when drifting?
>>>
>>> Here's what I can't understand: how did the "Hachiroku" become one of
>>> the pioneer drifting cars? The weight distribution is 50/50, and it was
>>> about the most neutral handling car I have ever driven. You could flick
>>> through corners with ease, without much worry of the rear breaking
>>> loose. They must have had to do some serious re-engineering to make this
>>> car drift...

>> Can the power overcome the handling?

> Just barely. US spec was 112 HP, but I think that was conservative. I seem
> to remember a magazine here testing it and reachin ~120HP. "World" models
> were rated 122HP, so the actual figure was probably ~128 or so.
>
> I have a "late" model 1985, made in April, so it got more of the goodies
> and probably hit the 120 figure. On a trip to Canada I was blown off by a
> Prelude and a Bertone Volvo, so I decided to see what it could do. At
> ~130MPH I could feel the front lifting a bit, so I backed down to 125 for
> a while. I didn't have a lot more to go, maybe 133 or so tops. If you
> really revved it and dropped the clutch you could break the back end free.
> But you have to remember the drifters go with the side draft carbs, more
> aggressive cams, etc. There was a racing series here in NA that used the
> 4A-GE engine, and with all the works it came out at 240HP, which was what
> Toyota rated the motor at max power. So, yeah, beefed up to 180+, I would
> imagine you probably could make the @$$ end slide around like a 911...
>
> BTW, the "late" model configuration was a bit of a PITA, because I would
> go for parts and they would say, "When was it made?" "April 85" "WHEN in
> April 85" April was the break from the late '83-'85 series, and it was a
> mixed blessing. THe parts for the earlier models were cheaper by about
> half! But, the car was more robust after the split, and certainly
> benefitted from the changes! It still sits in my back yard, with 259,990
> fun-filled miles, waiting for the day it gets rebuilt, but all my money
> has been going to my Supra...

Sell the supra
Old March 28th 11, 04:35 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B[_2_]

On Mon, 28 Mar 2011 14:23:36 +1200, Bret wrote:

> On Sun, 27 Mar 2011 21:12:22 -0500, Hachiroku ハチ*ク wrote:

>>> Can the power overcome the handling?

>> Just barely. US spec was 112 HP, but I think that was conservative. I
>> seem to remember a magazine here testing it and reachin ~120HP. "World"
>> models were rated 122HP, so the actual figure was probably ~128 or so.
>>
>> I have a "late" model 1985, made in April, so it got more of the goodies
>> and probably hit the 120 figure. On a trip to Canada I was blown off by
>> a Prelude and a Bertone Volvo, so I decided to see what it could do. At
>> ~130MPH I could feel the front lifting a bit, so I backed down to 125
>> for a while. I didn't have a lot more to go, maybe 133 or so tops. If
>> you really revved it and dropped the clutch you could break the back end
>> free. But you have to remember the drifters go with the side draft
>> carbs, more aggressive cams, etc. There was a racing series here in NA
>> that used the 4A-GE engine, and with all the works it came out at 240HP,
>> which was what Toyota rated the motor at max power. So, yeah, beefed up
>> to 180+, I would imagine you probably could make the @$$ end slide
>> around like a 911...
>>
>> BTW, the "late" model configuration was a bit of a PITA, because I would
>> go for parts and they would say, "When was it made?" "April 85" "WHEN in
>> April 85" April was the break from the late '83-'85 series, and it was a
>> mixed blessing. THe parts for the earlier models were cheaper by about
>> half! But, the car was more robust after the split, and certainly
>> benefitted from the changes! It still sits in my back yard, with 259,990
>> fun-filled miles, waiting for the day it gets rebuilt, but all my money
>> has been going to my Supra...

> Sell the supra

I can't! You might say, I have done something I wanted to do ever since
1988....

Bought an '88 Supra! Plus, it's a Sport Roof. The car is just a
blast...and it runs...

Hmmm...sell the Supra...rebuild the Corolla...Hachiroku rides again!