Cloudy headlights - what to do with them...

Old May 21st 05, 02:34 AM
Paul

Default Cloudy headlights - what to do with them...

Question: The headlight lenses on my nearly 10 YO Taurus are a bit on the
cloudy side. I have seen some cleaners on the internet that claim to
restore the lenses to perfectly clear or nearly clear condition. These
items sound like snake oil to me, but I would just like to know if that
is true (my snake oil conclusion) or if one of these cleaners actually
works? Also, is there a way to clean up the lenses short of replacing
them (I doubt that I'd find new OEM headlight assemblies for this vehicle
and I don't trust aftermarket parts)?
Old May 21st 05, 04:30 AM
AZ Nomad

On Fri, 20 May 2005 21:34:03 -0400, Paul > wrote:

>Question: The headlight lenses on my nearly 10 YO Taurus are a bit on the
>cloudy side. I have seen some cleaners on the internet that claim to
>restore the lenses to perfectly clear or nearly clear condition. These

Sounds like water got in them. The best remedy is to replace them.
Old May 21st 05, 07:07 AM
Bernard farquart

"Paul" > wrote in message
th.net...
> Question: The headlight lenses on my nearly 10 YO Taurus are a bit on the
> cloudy side. I have seen some cleaners on the internet that claim to
> restore the lenses to perfectly clear or nearly clear condition. These
> items sound like snake oil to me, but I would just like to know if that
> is true (my snake oil conclusion) or if one of these cleaners actually
> works? Also, is there a way to clean up the lenses short of replacing
> them (I doubt that I'd find new OEM headlight assemblies for this vehicle
> and I don't trust aftermarket parts)?

The plastic is degrading, go to your local auto parts
store and buy replacment headlight assemblies, they are
available for about $90. per side.

If you use the cleaners, it will help a little, but they will cloud
back up pretty soon, so the best thing for your night time
vision, is to get new assemblies.

Here is a link
http://www.atozautolights.com/aspx/P...edModel=TAURUS

(cut and paste or search the web for it again)

Bernard

Old May 21st 05, 07:13 AM
Brent P

In article et>, Paul wrote:
> Question: The headlight lenses on my nearly 10 YO Taurus are a bit on the
> cloudy side. I have seen some cleaners on the internet that claim to
> restore the lenses to perfectly clear or nearly clear condition. These
> items sound like snake oil to me, but I would just like to know if that
> is true (my snake oil conclusion) or if one of these cleaners actually
> works? Also, is there a way to clean up the lenses short of replacing
> them (I doubt that I'd find new OEM headlight assemblies for this vehicle
> and I don't trust aftermarket parts)?

Actually you probably can find OEM, they'll cost ya though. I was able to
get buy using clear coat safe polishing type compounds for awhile. Then I
gave up and got new lamps.

Old May 21st 05, 03:13 PM
James C. Reeves

"Brent P" > wrote in message
> In article et>, Paul
> wrote:
>> Question: The headlight lenses on my nearly 10 YO Taurus are a bit on the
>> cloudy side. I have seen some cleaners on the internet that claim to
>> restore the lenses to perfectly clear or nearly clear condition. These
>> items sound like snake oil to me, but I would just like to know if that
>> is true (my snake oil conclusion) or if one of these cleaners actually
>> works? Also, is there a way to clean up the lenses short of replacing
>> them (I doubt that I'd find new OEM headlight assemblies for this vehicle
>> and I don't trust aftermarket parts)?

> Actually you probably can find OEM, they'll cost ya though. I was able to
> get buy using clear coat safe polishing type compounds for awhile. Then I
> gave up and got new lamps.

Me too. Polishing worked for a while, but doesn't last very long. I'm
about ready to replace them at this point. Dealer wants $200+ per side
though.

Old May 21st 05, 04:13 PM
Daniel J. Stern

On Fri, 20 May 2005, Paul wrote:

> Question: The headlight lenses on my nearly 10 YO Taurus are a bit on
> the cloudy side. I have seen some cleaners on the internet that claim to
> restore the lenses to perfectly clear or nearly clear condition. These
> items sound like snake oil to me, but I would just like to know if that
> is true (my snake oil conclusion) or if one of these cleaners actually
> works? Also, is there a way to clean up the lenses short of replacing
> them (I doubt that I'd find new OEM headlight assemblies for this
> vehicle and I don't trust aftermarket parts)?

The first thing to degrade is the anti-scratch and anti-UV hardcoat on the
lenses. It chalks-up and goes cloudy, just the same as the car's paint
does. You can use ordinary car polish (I've had good results with
blue-label TR3 brand) to try and clean 'em up. If the degradation is
as severe as it typically is on these low-quality Ford lights, it probably
extends clear through the polycarbonate lens, and you'll need to replace
the headlamps. OEM items are still available, or you can buy Taiwanese
aftermarket items at parts stores. Of course the Taiwanese stuff
is...Taiwanese, but in this particular case the originals are of such
lousy quality that there's essentially no difference. Try to get the
TYC-Generra brand if you go aftermarket; that company at least tries to
produce a compliant product instead of just cheating on the tests.
Old May 21st 05, 05:58 PM
Brent P

In article ich.edu>, Daniel J. Stern wrote:

> aftermarket items at parts stores. Of course the Taiwanese stuff
> is...Taiwanese, but in this particular case the originals are of such
> lousy quality that there's essentially no difference. Try to get the
> TYC-Generra brand if you go aftermarket; that company at least tries to
> produce a compliant product instead of just cheating on the tests.

I got taiwan made '98 cobra lamps. Used the same logic, they couldn't
be worse than OEM. Now I don't have anything to measure the light,
but they do seem to perform better. I put in relays and got new bulbs
at the same time so the difference was rather dramatic, hard to tell
what portion comes from the lamps themselves.

Old May 21st 05, 06:26 PM
Jim Yanik

"Daniel J. Stern" > wrote in
n.umich.edu:

> On Fri, 20 May 2005, Paul wrote:
>
>> Question: The headlight lenses on my nearly 10 YO Taurus are a bit on
>> the cloudy side. I have seen some cleaners on the internet that claim
>> to restore the lenses to perfectly clear or nearly clear condition.
>> These items sound like snake oil to me, but I would just like to know
>> if that is true (my snake oil conclusion) or if one of these cleaners
>> actually works? Also, is there a way to clean up the lenses short of
>> replacing them (I doubt that I'd find new OEM headlight assemblies
>> for this vehicle and I don't trust aftermarket parts)?

> The first thing to degrade is the anti-scratch and anti-UV hardcoat on
> the lenses.

Any idea what the OEM folks use for this "hardcoat"?
Maybe a spray-on clear 'paint' like for the clear-coat?

BTW,polishing my Integra lenses lasts about 2-3 months down here in sunny
Florida.I use a cordless VS drill and a foam applicator to do the
polishing.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Old May 22nd 05, 12:06 AM
Daniel J. Stern

On Sat, 21 May 2005, Jim Yanik wrote:

> > The first thing to degrade is the anti-scratch and anti-UV hardcoat on
> > the lenses.

> Any idea what the OEM folks use for this "hardcoat"?

UV-cure crosslinking chemistry specifically designed for the task, applied
under cleanroom conditions.

Old May 22nd 05, 02:44 AM
James C. Reeves

"Daniel J. Stern" > wrote in message
.umich.edu...
> On Sat, 21 May 2005, Jim Yanik wrote:
>
>> > The first thing to degrade is the anti-scratch and anti-UV hardcoat on
>> > the lenses.

>> Any idea what the OEM folks use for this "hardcoat"?

> UV-cure crosslinking chemistry specifically designed for the task, applied
> under cleanroom conditions.

Can one buy a can of UV-cure crosslinking chemistry spray in a can at
Autozone? ;-) I didn't think so! Drats!!!