rear suspension noise

Old April 20th 05, 05:37 AM
DannyB20

Default rear suspension noise

Hello, When ever I drive over a bump in the road....even the bump at
the end of my drive way there is, sometimes, a loud popping noise
comming from the rear end of the car. Sometimes it is the left side and
sometimes the right side. I got a Saturn Chiltons's book and it looks
like it must be the stabalizer (sway) bar and links. There is no
mention on how to lubricate these or even if they can be.
I looked under the car and one (i think) link is twisted about 45
degrees. I tried to get it back into the same relation as the other
side but it is fixed solid. Do these parts (stabalizer sway bar and
links) just wear out and have to be replaced? If so any ideas on how
much it would cost for each side?
The car is a '97 SC2 with 50k miles on it.
Thanks.....Dan.

Old April 20th 05, 01:37 PM
Lane

Yes, the joints on the end links freeze up over time and cause weird noises.
I believe that each runs about $40 from a Saturn retailer's parts
department.

Lane [ lane (at) evilplastic.com ]
---
Visit my Saturn Car Audio and Performance Page at http://www.evilplastic.com

oups.com...

Old April 21st 05, 01:54 AM
Steve

Just had my rear sway bar links replaced last week due to the exact same
noise. Parts ran about $120 (links+bushings X2, not done at the dealer but
I got them at close to cost) and were non-stock locally, so it took 4 days
to get them in. I also had the rear struts replaced since they had the
backend ripped apart anyway; should have had them replace the fronts too.

Old April 21st 05, 04:54 AM
Max

Lane,

Is this job hard to do? Do both or can I get away with just the
noisy one? Any other tips?

The reason I ask is that this is on my list, and surprisingly
neither Chilton's, Haynes, nor even the factory manual have much
to say about it. I assumed that was because it was easy and
obvious, just two bolts--but then my dealer quoted me $288 to
change the pair! This is an hour+ labor per side, so I'm
wondering if there's more to it?

Thanks,

Max

Old April 21st 05, 05:57 AM
Lane

Literally, it's a 10 minute job per side, and that includes removing the
wheel. It's two nuts on each. Sometimes the nuts are difficult to remove,
so some penetrant and a good set of tools (air tools if you have 'em) make
it easier. Be careful not to bend the bracket which connects them to the
strut body when you're removing that nut.

You can replace just one, but if one is currently bad, the other is soon to
follow. Might as well do both as long as you're at it.

That price they quoted is stupid insane, even if it does include the parts
themselves. With a price like that, I'd look for a different dealer.

Old April 27th 05, 09:21 PM

DannyB20 wrote:
> Hello, When ever I drive over a bump in the road....even the bump at
> the end of my drive way there is, sometimes, a loud popping noise
> comming from the rear end of the car. Sometimes it is the left side

and
> sometimes the right side. I got a Saturn Chiltons's book and it looks
> like it must be the stabalizer (sway) bar and links. There is no
> mention on how to lubricate these or even if they can be.
> I looked under the car and one (i think) link is twisted about 45
> degrees. I tried to get it back into the same relation as the other
> side but it is fixed solid. Do these parts (stabalizer sway bar and
> links) just wear out and have to be replaced? If so any ideas on how
> much it would cost for each side?
> The car is a '97 SC2 with 50k miles on it.
> Thanks.....Dan.

The UNPROTECTED ball joints in those links are nothing but crap and
freeze up in less than a year. I put big gobs of grease on mine and
then tied plastic freezer bags over them with fine wire to protect them
from dirt. They've lasted 3 yrs so far.

Old April 29th 05, 05:35 PM
Dan Duncan

> The UNPROTECTED ball joints in those links are nothing but crap and
> freeze up in less than a year.

I must be doing something wrong. Mine are still original on my 1998 SW2
with 118k miles.

-DanD

--
# Dan Duncan (kd4igw)