How to Test O2 Sensors on '97?

Old June 4th 09, 10:48 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Ulysses

Default How to Test O2 Sensors on '97?

I have a '97 Explorer, Control Trac, auto trans, and 4.0L OHV engine. I
have error codes PO136 and PO141. I tried to test the O2 sensors as
outlined in my Hayne's manual but am unable to manage to get a wire into the
connector so I can test it. Is there a trick to this? Hayne's says not to
backprobe the sensor itself. Am I going to destroy it if I stick a pin in
the wire? Any other common problems that might cause these error codes
besides the O2 sensors?

Old June 5th 09, 12:44 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
PeterD

On Thu, 4 Jun 2009 14:48:23 -0700, "Ulysses"
> wrote:

>I have a '97 Explorer, Control Trac, auto trans, and 4.0L OHV engine. I
>have error codes PO136 and PO141. I tried to test the O2 sensors as
>outlined in my Hayne's manual but am unable to manage to get a wire into the
>connector so I can test it. Is there a trick to this?

Use the correct size wire.

> Hayne's says not to
>backprobe the sensor itself. Am I going to destroy it if I stick a pin in
>the wire?

Absolutely will.

> Any other common problems that might cause these error codes
>besides the O2 sensors?

Common? Might be, (I'm not an expert on this engine) but the first
thing is to check the connector make sure it is absolutely clean
inside, and tight. Then test the sensor if you can, or replace it if
you are unable to test. I've found this to resolve many O2 sensor
problems.
Old June 5th 09, 06:39 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Jim Warman

Man... you have busted my chops in the past... Payback is a real bitch,
ain't it....

You thought I was a stupid dink..... in fact, I ain't stupid... but I am a
dink.....

Let us know what you find.....

Old June 5th 09, 05:22 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Ulysses

"Jim Warman" > wrote in message
> Man... you have busted my chops in the past... Payback is a real bitch,
> ain't it....

Well gee, as I recall it all started when you called me Goofy. It turns out
that Goofy is my brother and just happens to look a lot like me. From my
point of view you have a tendency to ridicule people who ask legitimate
questions here but since you are so much smarter than everyone else you
think they are dumb questions.

> You thought I was a stupid dink..... in fact, I ain't stupid... but I am a
> dink.....

I never said or even thought that you were stupid. I'm not sure what a dink
is so that I can't say.

> Let us know what you find.....

So this IS going to be on the test.

Old June 24th 09, 12:18 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Jim Warman

Actually, most of it comes from some dork insisting that beating on an oil
pan was a "professional" fix. I do not recall if it was you or if you were
just a supporting actor.... None-the-less.... the general trend was to aver
that dealer techs are overpriced idiots and true mechanics used hammers more
than any other tool - including their brains...

'Nuff said....

P0136 (as in Pzero136) is an indication that there is a problem with the
sensor reading - the O2 content indication is outside of programmed
expectations... Bank one sensor two, if you are paying attention and, you
might notice, that this is the ONLY downstream sensor... P0141 (as in
Pzero141) is an indication the there is a concern with the HEATER circuit on
this SAME O2 sensor...

Two DIFFERENT circuits on ONE component are faulty..... It isn't time to
test O2 sensors, it is time to start checking wiring... a least for us
overpriced dealership idiots.... Could be that someone has been working
around the transefer case and might have displaced the wiring... allowing it
to melt to the exhaust system....

Old June 24th 09, 03:14 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Torn Lawence

Jim Warman wrote:
> Actually, most of it comes from some dork insisting that beating on an oil
> pan was a "professional" fix. I do not recall if it was you or if you were

Ah, I do recall! Some dork was insisting that a "professional" fix meant
only replacing the S-10's settling engine mounts, even when that
maintained the original design deficiency.

> just a supporting actor.... None-the-less.... the general trend was to aver
> that dealer techs are overpriced idiots and true mechanics used hammers more
> than any other tool - including their brains...

Thinking mechanics will use a hammer when it makes sense. Putting needed
clearance in an oil pan with a ball-peen hammer is an example of using
one's own brain to solve a problem.

> 'Nuff said....

There's more...

Some dork then went on his typical wild exaggeration spree, telling the
repair it.
Old June 24th 09, 01:35 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
PeterD

On Tue, 23 Jun 2009 19:14:52 -0700, Torn Lawence >

>There's more...
>
>Some dork then went on his typical wild exaggeration spree, telling the
>repair it.

Just how would that fix a broken sledge hammer? <bfg>
Old June 24th 09, 09:04 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Torn Lawence

PeterD wrote:
> On Tue, 23 Jun 2009 19:14:52 -0700, Torn Lawence >

>> There's more...
>>
>> Some dork then went on his typical wild exaggeration spree, telling the
>> repair it.

> Just how would that fix a broken sledge hammer? <bfg>

Not sure. But I've been told by my niece that a "dork" is a dolphin's penis.
Old June 24th 09, 10:22 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
PeterD

On Wed, 24 Jun 2009 13:04:25 -0700, Torn Lawence >
wrote:

>PeterD wrote:
>> On Tue, 23 Jun 2009 19:14:52 -0700, Torn Lawence >
>> wrote:

>>> There's more...
>>>
>>> Some dork then went on his typical wild exaggeration spree, telling the
>>> repair it.

>> Just how would that fix a broken sledge hammer? <bfg>

>Not sure. But I've been told by my niece that a "dork" is a dolphin's penis.

I'd love to know how you brought that subject up in the conversation!
<g>
Old July 6th 09, 04:06 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Ulysses

"Jim Warman" > wrote in message
> Actually, most of it comes from some dork insisting that beating on an oil
> pan was a "professional" fix. I do not recall if it was you or if you were
> just a supporting actor.... None-the-less.... the general trend was to

aver
> that dealer techs are overpriced idiots and true mechanics used hammers

more
> than any other tool - including their brains...
>
> 'Nuff said....
>
> P0136 (as in Pzero136) is an indication that there is a problem with the
> sensor reading - the O2 content indication is outside of programmed
> expectations... Bank one sensor two, if you are paying attention and, you
> might notice, that this is the ONLY downstream sensor... P0141 (as in
> Pzero141) is an indication the there is a concern with the HEATER circuit

on
> this SAME O2 sensor...
>
> Two DIFFERENT circuits on ONE component are faulty..... It isn't time to
> test O2 sensors, it is time to start checking wiring... a least for us
> overpriced dealership idiots.... Could be that someone has been working
> around the transefer case and might have displaced the wiring... allowing

it
> to melt to the exhaust system....

Thank you. I'm pretty sure I never called you an overpriced idiot or any
such thing, I probably said that I am not willing to pay $4000 to repair a
truck that is worth $2000 and decided to do the repairs myself. Either that
or junk it.

I recently replaced the rear seal on the transfer case but I've checked the
wires to the O2 sensor since then and didn't see anything wrong but I'll
check some more.