stop signs

Old February 26th 05, 07:49 PM
John F. Carr

In article >,
Magnulus > wrote:
> In the past two years, there have been 3 stop signs put up in my
>neighborhood. It's pretty stupid where they put them- at 3 way
>intersections, with a stopsign on every corner of the intersection (I would
>only put it on the bottom leg of the T). Are drivers too stupid to realize
>what yielding is, why do they have to resort to this pathetic hand holding
>of putting stopsigns everywhere? And alot of the time there's a cop there,
>so to me I think it's nothing but a trap. Because you never see any of the
>speeders out on the road being busted, probably too much work compared to
>just parking behind a stopsign and waiting. Without the stopsign, a driver
>could cruise right down the street without having to stop, idle the engine,
>and waste fuel accelerating again.

The former traffic engineer in Newton, Massachusetts rarely met a stop
sign he didn't like. He recommended multiway stop signs if traffic
volume was half of the the MUTCD warrant to start considering a
multiway stop. There is a formula out of San Diego counting points
for various intersection and traffic conditions that traffic engineers
can use if they want a stop sign but there is no legitimate reason to
install one. The new traffic engineer votes against the most
unwarranted stop signs. And the city still installs them.

--
John Carr )
Old February 26th 05, 10:37 PM
Garth Almgren

Around 2/25/2005 5:05 PM, Nate Nagel wrote:

> Magnulus wrote:
>
>> I hate speed bumps. Driving over them with a hard VW suspension
>> sucks,
>> and it can't be good for it.
>>

> If you think your Jetta wagon's suspension is hard, I'd hate to think
> what you'd think of my 944 (all stock, 15" wheels, and not even the
> sport package.) The Jetta is a little fluffy marshmallow cloud of a
> car.

No kidding. My Dad's Jetta is fairly soft, IMO, and it is a GLI - the
"sporty" Jetta. I can't imagine how soft the wagon must be.

....Nowhere near as soft as my Mustang and it's stock 22-year-old
suspension, of course, but them's apples and oranges.

--
~/Garth |"I believe that it is better to tell the truth than a lie.
Almgren | I believe it is better to be free than to be a slave.
Old February 27th 05, 08:21 AM
Magnulus

"Garth Almgren" > wrote in message
> Around 2/25/2005 5:05 PM, Nate Nagel wrote:
> No kidding. My Dad's Jetta is fairly soft, IMO, and it is a GLI - the
> "sporty" Jetta. I can't imagine how soft the wagon must be.

Compared to an American car, I think the handling is very responsive.

The wagon handles very well. Suppossedly, the Jetta and the wagon are
better handling than the Golf, according to a few European reviews.

I'm using Michelin Energy MX 4 Plus tires that came with my car, they are
almost new. They are fairly hard low rolling resistance tires. I keep the
tires inflated to 36 psi. They are a newer tire using silica, though
suppossedly they have a better model out now in the Energy line with a
little more rain grip (i find them fine, just don't drive like a maniac in
rain). If you put other tires on the car, maybe it handles differently.
I've heard if you put some regular, non-performance type tires on it (ie,
"comfort" tires), the car becomes less responsive