Fuel Filter confusion

Old March 3rd 05, 04:21 PM
tfandango

Default Fuel Filter confusion

Hi-

I went to O'Reilly last night and bought a fuel filter for my 2000
Explorer (SOHC Engine VIN E). It cost all of 6 bucks. I've got some
conflicting info though and I want to sort that out before
proceeding...

1) The guy told me I didn't need a tool to extract the old filter. He
said I just need to break off the nubs on the plastic clips and yank it
out. Sound correct?

2) The filter itself suggests replacement after 10K miles. Ford always
says 30K. Did I get a super cheap one or something?

3) I skimmed through the fuel filter replacement section of the Haynes
manual and I it said that the filter should last the life of the car.
This can't be the case can it? Is that a typo or is this for some
special engine which I do not have?

Thanks a lot! You guys are awesome!

-troy

Old March 3rd 05, 05:16 PM
Mikepier

I think you need the special tool because I needed mine on my 99 SOHC.
2000 should be similiar. It cost about $12 bucks at the auto store.DO
NOT yank on it!
I changed mine at 30K. 10K to me sounds too soon. And I don't think the
fuel filter lasts the life of the car.

Old March 3rd 05, 06:16 PM
Ulysses

On the "classic" Explorers (91-94) you need a special tool but I don't know
if it's the same for your car. I was under the impression that my fuel
filters (got 2 Explorers) were supposed to last 100K miles. I think they
cost more like $30. I only changed one of them once so far. Ford may think
that 100K is the life of the car ;-)

Old March 3rd 05, 07:53 PM
Scott Van Nest

On my 200 Exp Sport, I needed the tool. should be cheaper than the filter.
I bought one of the $2 variety and made it work fine. Don't yank. Use the
tool and do it slowly. I didn't release any fuel pressure but it still came
out with minimal mess. Thanks for reminding me, now at 75k miles I think I
will do mine again.

I have already done two tranny fluid changes also. I think I will start
doing these at the same time. If I have it another 30k miles. but I doubt
it.

Scott
oups.com...

Old March 3rd 05, 08:40 PM
351CJ

Ulysses wrote:
> On the "classic" Explorers (91-94) you need a special tool but I don't know
> if it's the same for your car. I was under the impression that my fuel
> filters (got 2 Explorers) were supposed to last 100K miles. I think they
> cost more like $30. I only changed one of them once so far. Ford may think
> that 100K is the life of the car ;-)

It is after all the life of any and all extended warranties ;-)
Old March 4th 05, 02:09 AM
Jim Warman

My own fuel filters get changed once per year..... our winters are too nasty
and our area too remote to trust to such a simple maintenance item. I
certainly wouldn't go beyond 30K miles (50K kms).... if the filter becomes
restricted, the extra oad can take out the fuel pump..... considerably more
in cost and effort than the filter.

Worse is the way the events usually unfold.... once the badly restricted
filter is changed the car *usually* runs pretty good... until we get far
enough away from home for the pump failure to be an extreme PITA. This is a
scene I've seen played out time and again...

HTH.

Old March 4th 05, 02:20 PM
C. E. White

tfandango wrote:

> Hi-
>
> I went to O'Reilly last night and bought a fuel filter for my 2000
> Explorer (SOHC Engine VIN E). It cost all of 6 bucks. I've got some
> conflicting info though and I want to sort that out before
> proceeding...
>
> 1) The guy told me I didn't need a tool to extract the old filter. He
> said I just need to break off the nubs on the plastic clips and yank it
> out. Sound correct?
>
> 2) The filter itself suggests replacement after 10K miles. Ford always
> says 30K. Did I get a super cheap one or something?
>
> 3) I skimmed through the fuel filter replacement section of the Haynes
> manual and I it said that the filter should last the life of the car.
> This can't be the case can it? Is that a typo or is this for some
> special engine which I do not have?

I looked at the maintenance schedule for both by 1997 and my
2003 Expeditions. The schedule called for 30,000 fuel filter
changes (same schedule applies to Explorers). I seem to
recall a TSB recommending a shorter interval but can't find
it. I have mine changed every 25,000 miles at the same time
I have the transmission fluid changed.

Regards,

Ed White
Old March 4th 05, 06:42 PM
Ulysses

I think I'll go buy a couple of fuel filters next week...

Old March 4th 05, 11:41 PM
Kevin D

Dang, me too...I have 125K and have never changed it. Duh!!!

Old March 8th 05, 05:33 AM
anonomizer

the tool I bought was a scissors type of thing.
ALSO :,
There's allot of pressure in that system so be very careful when changing
it.

--
William