What car would a modest family have in 1938?

Old July 14th 05, 10:43 PM
J. Michelle

Default What car would a modest family have in 1938?

A family that is just getting by, would have what kind of car in the 1930's? Any information about cars in the 1930s is greatly appreciated!
Thanks
Old July 15th 05, 02:54 AM
George Patterson

J. Michelle wrote:
> A family that is just getting by, would have what kind of car in the 1930's?

Probably a Model-A Ford.

George Patterson
Why do men's hearts beat faster, knees get weak, throats become dry,
and they think irrationally when a woman wears leather clothing?
Because she smells like a new truck.
Old July 15th 05, 07:10 AM
Count Floyd

George Patterson wrote:
> J. Michelle wrote:
>
>> A family that is just getting by, would have what kind of car in the
>> 1930's?

> Probably a Model-A Ford.
>
> George Patterson
> Why do men's hearts beat faster, knees get weak, throats become dry,
> and they think irrationally when a woman wears leather clothing?
> Because she smells like a new truck.

Looking at this from a Chrysler perspective, a Plymouth for sure, and
maybe upgraded to a Dodge.
Old July 15th 05, 03:05 PM
v8z

If "just getting by", then probably a used Model T.....

Old July 15th 05, 04:20 PM
dreas

Model A Ford.

-'dreas
Old July 16th 05, 02:45 AM
George Patterson

Count Floyd wrote:

> Looking at this from a Chrysler perspective, a Plymouth for sure, and
> maybe upgraded to a Dodge.

People "just getting by" didn't look at things from a Chrysler perspective. They
would have been interested in cheap used cars. Plymouth was priced comparably to
Fords, but the mark was only introduced in 1928, and inexpensive used ones would
have been rare throughout most of the 30s.

Old July 16th 05, 12:27 PM
Richard Smith

More likely, no car at all!!

Do some research and find what % of people had cars then or what the
ratio of cars to people was, as compared to today.

Old July 22nd 05, 06:02 PM
Riteous Right Reverend Mahmoud Bin Changstein

Perhaps a very used Whippet, Hudson, Hupmobile, Studebaker, Nash,
Oldsmobile, Model T Ford, Durant or Essex.