Induced understeer works GTR2

Old September 27th 06, 04:52 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Jeff Reid

Default Induced understeer works GTR2

At least one noticable change in the physcis between GTR and GTR2. When slowing
(lift throttle) or braking, and the rear end steps out, you can steer inwards
to cause the front end to plow, to correct the oversteer (driver induced
understeer). This rarely worked in GTR, but it works well in GTR2.

For acceleration, normal counter-steering (outwards) and throttle modulation are
still required.

For some real racing cars that don't have downforce, when cornering at very high
speeds that require full throttle to maintain speed, a bit of induced understeer
can help stabelize a nervous car. Some players did this with Grand Prix Legends.

Old September 27th 06, 02:21 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Trev B

Jeff Reid wrote:
> At least one noticable change in the physcis between GTR and GTR2. When slowing
> (lift throttle) or braking, and the rear end steps out, you can steer inwards
> to cause the front end to plow, to correct the oversteer (driver induced
> understeer). This rarely worked in GTR, but it works well in GTR2.
>
> For acceleration, normal counter-steering (outwards) and throttle modulation are
> still required.
>
> For some real racing cars that don't have downforce, when cornering at very high
> speeds that require full throttle to maintain speed, a bit of induced understeer
> can help stabelize a nervous car. Some players did this with Grand Prix Legends.

I think the effect was a little overdone in GPL.
Old September 27th 06, 08:19 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
sparadise

Seems to me the physics in GTR2 are greatly improved over the first
version in general. Racing in the rain is really cool , they did a
very effective job with the sound of the rain,thunder,and the physics
of driving on wet pavement. To me it is the rain thing in GTR2 is the
most amazing achievement of any sim ever and I have tried them all.
Steve P

Old September 27th 06, 09:53 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
jason moyer

Jeff Reid wrote:

> For some real racing cars that don't have downforce

The cars in GTR2 have immense downforce. Not as much as an F1 car but
several have better downforce:drag ratios (thanks to the fenders).

, when cornering at very high
> speeds that require full throttle to maintain speed, a bit of induced understeer
> can help stabelize a nervous car. Some players did this with Grand Prix Legends.

You mean the stab save? I always hated that.

Old September 27th 06, 11:10 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Jeff Reid

>> (driver induced understeer).

> I think the effect was a little overdone in GPL.

The cars in GPL, 1967 F1 race cars, rearward weight bias, no downforce, high
working slip angle, are probably ideal for using induced understeer. I've
read that the Lotus team manager heard Jim Clark describe using induced
understeer, with the manager responding, that's why he's a manager and not a
driver.

I've asked some club level race drivers about using induced understeer, and
although it's not needed on most cars, there are a few where it's used.
One guys comment is that his Clio was evil, and he had to use induced
understeer, to keep the car in check on high speed turns as I mentioned.
Most guys that get to run their cars on ovals for fun end up getting large
rear wings to keep their heart rates in check.

GPL did have a induced understeer quirk, on the Lotus, if braking balance
was around 53%, you could get a reverse steering yaw reaction when braking
hard. Also using front toe out could be used to keep a car stable under
heavy braking. I made a video of the reverse steering reaction, although
the video only shows a left yaw, I could steer left and get a right yaw
on the same section of track:

http://jeffareid.net/gpl/gplrs.wmv

The worst "offender" of induced understeer was with LFS S1 all or nothing
grip factor, especially on the LX6:

http://jeffareid.net/lfs/lx6.wmv

Induced understeer used properly (just a bit) and coutner-steering, Rouen
by Greg Stewart. Tires inwards while slowing, outwards while accelerating,
inwards on the very high speed right sweeper. After the 90 degree left
haipin, the next two acceleration right turns are done with the steering
spending most of the time left (throttle oversteer). The bottom (chase)
view of this video give you a good idea of what is going on.

http://jeffareid.net/gpl/gplrngs.wmv

Old September 28th 06, 01:40 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Larry[_1_]

I used to love the rain/thunder sounds in Monster Truck Madness 2

-Larry

oups.com...

Old September 28th 06, 02:46 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Ed Medlin

"Uwe Schürkamp" > wrote in message
> On 27 Sep 2006 12:19:35 -0700, sparadise wrote:
>>
>> Seems to me the physics in GTR2 are greatly improved over the first
>> version in general. Racing in the rain is really cool , they did a
>> very effective job with the sound of the rain,thunder,and the physics
>> of driving on wet pavement. To me it is the rain thing in GTR2 is the
>> most amazing achievement of any sim ever and I have tried them all.
>> Steve P

> How big is the effect on FPS during wet weather racing?
>
> cheers, uwe

Very little on my system. At 1280X1024 I get a 4-5fps hit in rain with most
video at high or max levels. 3.6ghz EM64T Intel and ATI X850 PCIE graphics.
All in all GTR2 is about as demanding as GTL on my system. I always get this
stuttering when pulling out of the garage in GTR, GTR2 and GTL..........
Other than that all is, for the most part, very smooth.

Ed

Old September 28th 06, 05:59 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Chang Liu

Ed Medlin wrote:
> "Uwe Schürkamp" > wrote in message
>> On 27 Sep 2006 12:19:35 -0700, sparadise wrote:
>>> Seems to me the physics in GTR2 are greatly improved over the first
>>> version in general. Racing in the rain is really cool , they did a
>>> very effective job with the sound of the rain,thunder,and the physics
>>> of driving on wet pavement. To me it is the rain thing in GTR2 is the
>>> most amazing achievement of any sim ever and I have tried them all.
>>> Steve P

>> How big is the effect on FPS during wet weather racing?
>>
>> cheers, uwe
>>

> Very little on my system. At 1280X1024 I get a 4-5fps hit in rain with most
> video at high or max levels. 3.6ghz EM64T Intel and ATI X850 PCIE graphics.
> All in all GTR2 is about as demanding as GTL on my system. I always get this
> stuttering when pulling out of the garage in GTR, GTR2 and GTL..........
> Other than that all is, for the most part, very smooth.
>
> Ed

OVERCLOCK IT!! Hahaha. Is your X850 pro or XT or regular? Mine is AGP so
I was able to unlock the 4 extra pipelines so now I have 16.
Old September 29th 06, 03:21 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Ed Medlin

"Chang Liu" > wrote in message
> Ed Medlin wrote:
>>> How big is the effect on FPS during wet weather racing?
>>>
>>> cheers, uwe
>>>

>> Very little on my system. At 1280X1024 I get a 4-5fps hit in rain with
>> most video at high or max levels. 3.6ghz EM64T Intel and ATI X850 PCIE
>> graphics. All in all GTR2 is about as demanding as GTL on my system. I
>> always get this stuttering when pulling out of the garage in GTR, GTR2
>> and GTL.......... Other than that all is, for the most part, very smooth.
>>
>> Ed

> OVERCLOCK IT!! Hahaha. Is your X850 pro or XT or regular? Mine is AGP so I
> was able to unlock the 4 extra pipelines so now I have 16. ]

Did that. Running mem @ 620, GPU clock @ 540 and very stable. Mine is the
X850 PE already at 16.

Ed

Old September 29th 06, 08:14 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
PlowBoy

Default Induced understeer works GTR2 (jeff, FYI)

FYI something bad wrong in vid?
Jeff Reid enlightened us with:
>>> (driver induced understeer). SNIP>>>

> car stable under heavy braking. I made a video of the reverse
> steering reaction, although the video only shows a left yaw, I could
> steer left and get a right yaw on the same section of track:
>
> http://jeffareid.net/gpl/gplrs.wmv

What the 'ell is wrong with this vid? I cant play it, jerky as hell, takes
100% processor time, dang near locks the whole system (yeah your right is is
probably SSDD Microsoft..)

checking now if all new ones are this way, but I had viewed a lot of your
older wmv & mpegs you ve posted... hoping it is not just me... lol

Nope, just the GPLRS.WMV I cant play...

Next 2 played fine though...

rFactor vs. GTR2 Chang Liu Simulators 9 September 18th 06 08:21 AM
HOW TO MAKE THOUSANDS OF DOLLARS WITH JUST 6 $!!!! IT REALLY WORKS!!!! [email protected] Technology 0 February 20th 06 06:34 AM
Basics of a car simulator Thomas Harte Simulators 20 January 11th 06 11:46 AM
cd-rw media that works in your honda? James Honda 7 July 18th 05 06:10 PM
Money Making Formula (Serious People Only) Works 100 Percent Seeker Honda 0 January 26th 05 08:37 PM