High Pitched Whistle Under Load?

Old May 13th 06, 09:57 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

Default High Pitched Whistle Under Load?

I've not really looked into this one but just wondered if anyone has come
across this before?

Accord 2.2 vTec auto, when accelerating under load a high pitched whistle
is noticable from the engine area at precisely 2000 - 2300 rpm, both below
and above this engine speed the noise is not there.

Also, it only seems to hapen under load, when accelerating on a downward
slope, the noise doesn't occur.

Any ideas before I have to get my hands dirty??

Cheers
Old May 13th 06, 03:16 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

A whining in the Honda Element was discussed in the EOC [Element Owners
Club] online...similar circumstances to your situation...I believe it
was the power steering fluid circulation, or loose hose, etc.

Old May 13th 06, 04:04 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

"Ric@rdo" wrote:

> I've not really looked into this one but just wondered if anyone has come
> across this before?
>
> Accord 2.2 vTec auto, when accelerating under load a high pitched whistle
> is noticable from the engine area at precisely 2000 - 2300 rpm, both below
> and above this engine speed the noise is not there.
>
> Also, it only seems to hapen under load, when accelerating on a downward
> slope, the noise doesn't occur.
>
> Any ideas before I have to get my hands dirty??
>
> Cheers

The YEAR and Mileage would be helpful . . . .

Slip the air filter out and take it for a short spin. Be sure to wipe
the inside of the air box SPOTLESS before you restart it. You'll know
right away if you've found something.

'Curly'
Old May 13th 06, 04:19 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

"'Curly Q. Links'" > wrote in
:

> The YEAR and Mileage would be helpful . . . .
>
> Slip the air filter out and take it for a short spin. Be sure to wipe
> the inside of the air box SPOTLESS before you restart it. You'll know
> right away if you've found something.
>
> 'Curly'

Mmmmm......... sounds an interesting and simple test, I'll try that later.

The car is a 1997 model and it's just done 70k miles.
Old May 13th 06, 07:16 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

Ric@rdo wrote:
> I've not really looked into this one but just wondered if anyone has come
> across this before?
>
> Accord 2.2 vTec auto, when accelerating under load a high pitched whistle
> is noticable from the engine area at precisely 2000 - 2300 rpm, both below
> and above this engine speed the noise is not there.
>
> Also, it only seems to hapen under load, when accelerating on a downward
> slope, the noise doesn't occur.
>
> Any ideas before I have to get my hands dirty??

Very tiny vaccuum leak?

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0619-3, 05/12/2006
Tested on: 5/13/2006 11:16:01 AM

Old May 13th 06, 10:19 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

On 2006-05-13, Ric@rdo > wrote:
> I've not really looked into this one but just wondered if anyone has come
> across this before?

Check and see if you have a homeless bosun squatting in your engine
compartment.

nb
Old May 25th 06, 10:59 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

Did you find the problem?. I have a Honda Civic 97 with a similar
problem. I took it to Honda, they checked everything and they dont know
what's wrong. Let me know please

Old May 25th 06, 11:59 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

"almo" > wrote in news:1148594392.700974.221190
@y43g2000cwc.googlegroups.com:

> Did you find the problem?. I have a Honda Civic 97 with a similar
> problem. I took it to Honda, they checked everything and they dont know
> what's wrong. Let me know please

almo, I'm still working on this one, I've narrowed it down to it being a
vacuum leak, I've sourced the vacuum system diagram for the correct model
and should get round to some serious digging around soon.

I'll report any of my findings here, don't worry...

E46 - high pitched rattle when shifting into 1st or 2 gears [email protected] BMW 0 January 16th 06 07:34 PM
1996 Jeep Cherokee Voltage Drops Under Load Kurt R. Todoroff Jeep 8 January 11th 06 11:46 PM
Extremely high idle question stinknugget Saturn 2 December 6th 04 11:26 AM
Integra Emissions Failure Dkakd Honda 13 November 8th 04 09:14 AM
96 Land Rover Discovery : Diagnosing High Pitched Squeal Wheel Noise ??? Zach Bower 4x4 2 August 27th 04 06:16 AM