MFFY du jour...

Old March 11th 05, 08:21 PM

Default MFFY du jour...

Went to the bank today, pulled into a spot next to handicapped parking.
The rest of the parking lot was empty. As I set the brake, a large
crew-cab pick up pulled right up on my left beside me into the
handicapped parking, over the parking line into my spot, with the
bumper for the truck actually hanging over where my car would be if I
backed straight up.

Slightly pudgy guy hops out and walks quickly for the door of the bank
as I do an eel impressesion to get out of my car. Truck has no
handicapped placards at all. I think quickly about how long a city
police cruiser would take to get there if I had a "mechanical failure"
after pulling out of the spot and behind the truck. The police station
is three blocks away. Unfortunately, I do not have time to stand
around waiting for some cop to do his duty.

Another opportunity lost to give a MFFY his just deserts.

I did have an opportunity in the bank to say quietly to the guy (and he
did hear, but didn't do anything but turn around), "thanks for the
crappy parking job, jerk."

E.P.

Old March 11th 05, 08:40 PM
The Office Jet

Nothing makes me more angry than when someone parks in a handicap spot
without being handicapped. One of my best friends is in a wheelchair
for the rest of his life and has to use those spots. If he had to go
to the bank and this moron had parked there, he'd be out of luck. Some
people have absolutley no respect for others.

Old March 11th 05, 08:47 PM
Skip Elliott Bowman

> wrote in message
oups.com...
> Went to the bank today, pulled into a spot next to handicapped parking.
> The rest of the parking lot was empty. As I set the brake, a large
> crew-cab pick up pulled right up on my left beside me into the
> handicapped parking, over the parking line into my spot, with the
> bumper for the truck actually hanging over where my car would be if I
> backed straight up.
>
> Slightly pudgy guy hops out and walks quickly for the door of the bank
> as I do an eel impressesion to get out of my car. Truck has no
> handicapped placards at all. I think quickly about how long a city
> police cruiser would take to get there if I had a "mechanical failure"
> after pulling out of the spot and behind the truck. The police station
> is three blocks away. Unfortunately, I do not have time to stand
> around waiting for some cop to do his duty.
>
> Another opportunity lost to give a MFFY his just deserts.
>
> I did have an opportunity in the bank to say quietly to the guy (and he
> did hear, but didn't do anything but turn around), "thanks for the
> crappy parking job, jerk."

I would have spoken louder: "Hey man--you have the whole parking lot for a
spot and not only do you take a handicap spot but you almost hit my car
squeezing in next to it. If my car is damaged at all because of your poor
skills, you'll pay for it--and your insurance carrier won't. In fact, I'm
writing down your plate # and make/model in case you try a little hit and
run action."

People like this deserve attention for their stupidity and thoughtlessness.

Old March 11th 05, 10:01 PM
The Office Jet

I never have the guts to call them out in a place like that though. I
get so angry and never say anything.

Old March 11th 05, 10:04 PM
Skip Elliott Bowman

"The Office Jet" > wrote in message
ups.com...
>I never have the guts to call them out in a place like that though. I
> get so angry and never say anything.

Try it next time. They can't do anything to you--they're in the wrong,
remember? If someone speaks up about this sort of thing in my presence and
I see it, I'd back them up.

Old March 11th 05, 10:38 PM
Dave C.

"The Office Jet" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Nothing makes me more angry than when someone parks in a handicap spot
> without being handicapped. One of my best friends is in a wheelchair
> for the rest of his life and has to use those spots. If he had to go
> to the bank and this moron had parked there, he'd be out of luck. Some
> people have absolutley no respect for others.

I agree with your side, but can speak from a different point of view as
well. A few years ago, I spotted a HUGE full-size pickup truck with
handicap plates. The truck was modified so that the suspension was lifted.
(The truck was taller than it was when it left the factory.) It had tires
the size of a small car. It was like a back-yard "monster" truck. With
handicapped plates. Parked in a handicapped spot. I'm a tall man who is
not handicapped in any way. I would have needed a ladder to climb into this
truck, if I owned it. Standing on my tip-toes, I could barely see over the
edge of the door. When I looked inside, I noticed it was a MANUAL
transmission. Maybe the driver really was handicapped, but obviously in NO
way that would require him/her park in a special spot closer to the entrance
of a building. So why were the handicap plates issued? Did the DMV not
notice the type of vehicle or the fact that it was manual transmission and
modified to be EXTREMELY hard to get into? -Dave

Old March 11th 05, 11:02 PM
The Office Jet

That's true. I just get so angry that I'm afraid I'll flip out, so of
course I internalize and only end up wishing I'd said something before.

Old March 11th 05, 11:05 PM
Brent P

In article . net>, Dave C. wrote:

> edge of the door. When I looked inside, I noticed it was a MANUAL
> transmission. Maybe the driver really was handicapped, but obviously in NO
> way that would require him/her park in a special spot closer to the entrance
> of a building. So why were the handicap plates issued? Did the DMV not
> notice the type of vehicle or the fact that it was manual transmission and
> modified to be EXTREMELY hard to get into? -Dave

While it might not be in the law, observations like the above have caused
me to assume that such plates were issued to the mentally handicaped as
well as the physically handicaped.

Old March 11th 05, 11:08 PM
Dave C.

news

wrote:

> > edge of the door. When I looked inside, I noticed it was a MANUAL
> > transmission. Maybe the driver really was handicapped, but obviously in

NO
> > way that would require him/her park in a special spot closer to the

entrance
> > of a building. So why were the handicap plates issued? Did the DMV not
> > notice the type of vehicle or the fact that it was manual transmission

and
> > modified to be EXTREMELY hard to get into? -Dave

> While it might not be in the law, observations like the above have caused
> me to assume that such plates were issued to the mentally handicaped as
> well as the physically handicaped.

Ok, so my question still stands . . . why would someone who is not
physically handicapped need to park closer to entrance of a building? Thus,
why the need for handicap plates? -Dave

Old March 11th 05, 11:16 PM
Skip Elliott Bowman

"Dave C." > wrote in message
ink.net...

> "Brent P" > wrote in message
> news
>> In article . net>, Dave
>> C.

> wrote:
>>
>> > edge of the door. When I looked inside, I noticed it was a MANUAL
>> > transmission. Maybe the driver really was handicapped, but obviously
>> > in

> NO
>> > way that would require him/her park in a special spot closer to the

> entrance
>> > of a building. So why were the handicap plates issued? Did the DMV
>> > not
>> > notice the type of vehicle or the fact that it was manual transmission

> and
>> > modified to be EXTREMELY hard to get into? -Dave

>> While it might not be in the law, observations like the above have caused
>> me to assume that such plates were issued to the mentally handicaped as
>> well as the physically handicaped.
>>

> Ok, so my question still stands . . . why would someone who is not
> physically handicapped need to park closer to entrance of a building?
> Thus,
> why the need for handicap plates? -Dave

They could have been issued by mistake, or someone switched the plates, or
bought it from someone without exchanging the handicap plates for new ones.
In any event, it was fraud.

I saw a 20/20 segment on just this issue: able-bodied people who use
placards to park in handicap spots. They found cars with placards, checked
them, then followed the owners out to their cars with cameras rolling--and
with the offenders all covering their faces in shame and embarrassment.
They knew they were in the wrong.

Why do able-bodied people park in handicapped spots? You know the answer to
that.

MFFY Du Jour Mike Z. Helm Driving 51 April 10th 05 08:30 PM
I Hope That MFFY Peed His Pants Daniel W. Rouse Jr. Driving 10 February 11th 05 06:25 PM
Speeding: the fundamental cause of MFFY Daniel W. Rouse Jr. Driving 82 December 23rd 04 02:10 AM